free website stats program Another Compensator Installation Question | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Compensator Installation Question

Mine took about a week and a half - you did yours in an afternoon. Thanks for showing me up! :p

Are you kidding!?! This was my third time into a primary AND I had the benefit of your advice (along with Amanda's assistance)! :s

Your inner primary looks pristine so I'm curious - did you not have to do any grinding to make clearance to get the rotor out? Maybe the MOCO finally sends them out with enough room to get rotors on and off.

If you loosen the 5 bolts on the inner primary (1/4" or so), then you are able to slightly shift/tilt the inner primary enough for the rotor to be removed and installed without the need to "grind" or alter anything. :D

If you loosen the 5 bolts on the inner primary (1/4" or so), then you are able to slightly shift/tilt the inner primary enough for the rotor to be removed and installed without the need to "grind" or alter anything. :D

Next time I'll know better!

You sure about that. May work on some FL models but I know it would not have worked on my Dyna during the SE Compensator install. The needed clearance was just too great. I had to remove the inner completely. My starter is hanging off the inner cover.

Humm? On my FXDL when I saw how much I needed to grind, I did think about loosening the bolts on the inner primary and cheating a bit but the needed clearance was just too great. I had to pull back the starter off the inner primary (wires attached) and removing all the bolts to get the inner cover off.

It really is strange that some people say they only had to grind a small amount. Why I don't know but on mine it would have been a bunch.

It is a worthwhile exercise to remove the inner primary because some day it will be "Belt Time". Nothing wrong with getting a feel for it now. :p

Does loosening the inner primary bolts cause any leakage issues? On my 2004 Ultra, the bolts are installed with gasket sealant. Is it different on the newer models?

Does loosening the inner primary bolts cause any leakage issues? On my 2004 Ultra, the bolts are installed with gasket sealant. Is it different on the newer models?

On my 2009 the bolts had built in "o" rings on the heads. The service manual does say to replace the bolts and only use once.

I have not experienced one drop of leakage from loosening the inner primary bolts and re-torquing.

I have not experienced one drop of leakage from loosening the inner primary bolts and re-torquing.

I have not either. I reused the bolts using some thin sealant around the heads. I was just quoting what the service manual states. I would also bet the dealerships don't use new bolts and they really should be..

I would also bet the dealerships don't use new bolts and they really should be..

I bet you're absolutely right. I would have been more inclined to inspect/replace the inner primary gaskets if the bike had more miles on it. At only 3k miles, I'm confident the seals are still good.

Back