free website stats program Another Compensator Installation Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Compensator Installation Question

Doc, if you have not put the primary cover back on, would you be able to measure for me how much torque it takes to break the crank from a stationary position? I would like to know what the parasitic drag of a 96 is when cold.

It would help in starter, battery draw issues down the road.

OK here you go - everything inside the primary installed and adjusted, tranny in neutral, spark plugs removed, started with torque wrench set pretty low and adjusted up in 5 inch pound increments until the crank turned before the wrench clicked. The magic number was 150 inch pounds. Hopefully this could help someone down the road!

Sounds to me like you're good to go Dr. Some folks are not able to get any movement at all ot of the sprocket..some say about the same amount as you have.
I would say...get on with it. Clutch basket & Chain...then the tension shoe...might just go ahead and adjust the clutch before you put the primary cover on.
Lets go..yer burnin daylight!!!!!

Yep, you have to adjust the clutch since you had the whole thing removed. Luckily I've got 2 weeks worth of daylight to burn since I'm on vacation!

Thanks Doc, So ~12-13 ft/lbs. Good number to know for determining if someone is having starter or an "eating starter" issue.

There was a thread just the other day, someone was on his 3rd starter in two years. That number was not in print within my service manual,,, but it will be now. :p

I've got 2 weeks worth of daylight to burn since I'm on vacation!

Hmmm; Two weeks of vacation, and a new compensator to road test thoroughly.
I think there's a good opportunity for us to meet somewhere in the middle for lunch. I'm good for east, south, or west of ATL. I don't like anything inside the loop.

Sounds to me like you're good to go Dr. Some folks are not able to get any movement at all ot of the sprocket..some say about the same amount as you have.

I couldn't get any movement with mine.
No experienced mind here, just relating my experrience. In fact I'm surprised to hear some do have some movement.
Did Hoople do his recently? Any movement?

Did Hoople do his recently? Any movement?

Yes I actually did do mine recently but I did not comment on the movement question because I did not really understand the question...
That is, what exactly was being turned and what was moving or not moving.

I remember everything about my compensator,, just really did not understand the question so I said nothing.

Hmmm; Two weeks of vacation, and a new compensator to road test thoroughly.
I think there's a good opportunity for us to meet somewhere in the middle for lunch. I'm good for east, south, or west of ATL. I don't like anything inside the loop.

But that's what the loop is for - to avoid going inside!

I'll let you know but as of right now I have no firm bike plans. Heading up to NYC with the wife tomorrow for 3 days of US Open tennis. Probably stick around for the holiday weekend. That only leaves 6 days left.

Figured I'd give this thread some closure - I'm sure you're all sitting on pins and needles waiting to see how my project ended up, right?

:lolrolling

The day before leaving for a 3 day mini vacation to NYC with my wife, I put the primary cover back on after adjusting the clutch. Refilled with new primary fluid. Reconnected battery. Seat back on. Sat down and was ready to start her up and then.....I had a thought. I said to myself, "What if this thing doesn't start or even worse, starts and begins to make a horrible noise?" I knew I wouldn't have time to do any troubleshooting and I knew it would put me in a really sour mood for the trip to New York. Not wanting to endanger a trip my wife was REALLY looking forward to, I took my thumb off the start switch and went inside to pack.

New York was a blast.

Happy to report that Thursday night I went out and finally started the bike. Started and ran fine. Friday I reattached the remaining items I had taken off to get the primary cover off. This morning, I went for a 4 hour ride with JDPEagle and AJPanda and had a wonderful, trouble free ride!

I know I need to work on my self confidence when it comes to mechanical work. As of today, I feel a lot better about my ability to handle most mods and/or repairs on my bike.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice or simply encouragement as I worked through this project!

:cheers

You Rock Doc! Congratulations. I don't know if I could tackle a project like that; yeah, with my manual and this forum, I could do it. :s I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Congrats Doc. Bet you got a real sense of accomplishment when you were done. But does the new compensator improve things?

Back