free website stats program Another Cat exhaust Question for De-hotification | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Cat exhaust Question for De-hotification

what is the best, least expensive way to get rid of the cat? When you do it, is it absolutely necessary to get another tuner to adjust the Air-fuel ratio? I want to get rid of the heat but I have to admit that I'm not chasing the horsepower increase, I just want the heat off of my leg and moreso, off the top end of the motor. I can spend the money but dont want to. Its a 2011 SG. Going to Sturgis so another question would be..is that the place to have a new set up put on? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

what is the best, least expensive way to get rid of the cat? When you do it, is it absolutely necessary to get another tuner to adjust the Air-fuel ratio?

There is a best way. There is a least expensive way. But not in the same sentence. My 2009 was lean from the factory. Just a guess that the 2011's would have to be be even leaner. It all depends if the 2011's are tuned for E10 right from the factory. Mine was not.
It was tuned for pure gasoline and where I live E10 was everywhere in 2008.

what is the best, least expensive way to get rid of the cat? When you do it, is it absolutely necessary to get another tuner to adjust the Air-fuel ratio? I want to get rid of the heat but I have to admit that I'm not chasing the horsepower increase, I just want the heat off of my leg and moreso, off the top end of the motor. I can spend the money but dont want to. Its a 2011 SG. Going to Sturgis so another question would be..is that the place to have a new set up put on? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

thkmann,

I have a 09 FLHR and bought it Just for the reason IT doesn't have cats... The 10 model sitting right behind it Did have the cats.. I bought the 09 and GOT a discount PLUS the NO-cats..
Big bonus I'm finding out later because of the heat... OP starting the thread Has an 09 without the cats... Most of the heat that is generated is Partial due to LEAN and then the way HD did the stroker to 4.375" ; moving the wrist pin UP and cutting off the piston skirt=HEAT..

The fuel Made a BIG difference and my mileage dropped to 40/42 from 47 best..(TFI installed)

SMALL price to pay for the cooler running motor and Not Lean...
TFI or the Gen3 will do the job the easiest and the best for the average Biker, You install easily, and NO dyno time needed ...

You WILL find that Most welding and muffler shops Might NOT want to cut apart the Muffler and remove the cat... BIG Fines IF caught...

If you were to Locate a set of 09 pipes and muffler set-up would be a nice way to go.. Cheaper?? trade off your newer bike for an 09 ,,,??? probably not an option for you so :newsmile093::newsmile093: a MUST...

I think a Big problem with HD shops is that they DON"T KNOW HOW TO TUNE even when it is there tuner.. Destination sells the TTS to their customers,, I asked Why Not just go with a simple good product, the TFI or Gen3 ???

Not enough money to be made using the TFI or Gen3 was their answer(privately) to me.

signed....BUBBIE

Ok, I appreciate all the responses but lets get back to me. The question was asked of what type of racer tuner I have... it is a Screaming Eagle (SE) Pro Super Tuner (part #32109-08A), I have a SE Heavy Breather (part #29006-09A) with short filter, along with Rush Slash Down 1.5 baffles slip-ons. According to the dealership engine pro the 2009 Electra Glide does not have a cat. What I want to do is cool the bike down a little. Originally my thought was to remove the cat to cool it down, but if there is no cat to remove then how else can I cool it down short of putting an oil cooler on, which is now on order.
So with all that being said... what do you all think, is there anything else I can do to cool her down.

I shopped around on E-bay and found a set of 09 cat free head pipes for $39.00 delivered. That and the EJK...BIG difference!!

One way to make your bike run cooler(if you haven't already done it) is to run a good synthetic 20W-50 motor oil in it. Since you have already done the stage 1 and fuel tuner, I think the only thing left (you already ordered it) is a good oil cooler. I have seen pictures of the fans that some people have put on their dressers, but not really sold on if they work or not.

I have an 09 FLHRC. I learned from this great site about the simple mod's I could do myself. I too have the TFI. Then I had questions regarding the cat, like most, and since I live in CA, my bike came with it. I simply cut the pipe in half (where the cat is). Used a drill to remove the cat from both sides of the head pipe. I took it to my local indie shop and had it welded back together. $30 total. Simple, cheap and I did it myself. So with my SE air, KlockWerks slip ons, TFI and cat removed, I'm about done. Unless I want to get into the motor. But honestly, the way the bike runs, I really don't see the need. Also, I did the same to my wife's '11 softail delux (minus the cat removal on the head pipe of course). Does it run cooler? I'm really not sure. I'm always on it and it feels and runs great.

Back