free website stats program Another Cat exhaust Question for De-hotification | Harley Davidson Forums

Another Cat exhaust Question for De-hotification

Slapp

I was thinking of removing the cat out my exhaust as mentioned in a previouse thread. Then I thought why not just a whole new exhaust, right? So I rode over to the dealer yesterday and started talking to their engine mod expert and he told me something that kind of shocked me and really made start to wonder. He said that in 2009 there was NO cat installed and that it was the best year for Harleys exhaust design. I then went on to ask him why it was so hot and he said "compared to other years it is actually much cooler". He questioned me on what type of slip-ons I have and he recomend going to a larger diameter baffel to allow more flow and instead of the Screaming Eagle race tuner go with a completely seperate fuel management system as well as an oil cooler (that really only helps when moving). I then asked about a true duel system and said in 09 that is really basicly what I have since there is know cat it is a free flow system.
So what do you all think of what I was told? I am somewhat confussed now.:help

He's correct about no cats in the 09 pipes. As far as the other suggestions he's partially correct. Remember that the sale of the tuners the dealer sells plus dyno time equals good profits. IMO, the tuners like SERT and others are overkill for a street bike unless you just have to have the engine tuned to the max. Lots of good tuners that are more reasonable and easy setup.

On the baffles, I wouldn't go much over the 1 3/4" baffles in the slip ons. Fuel injection on street bikes does require a fairly balanced system to operate properly. Reducing backpressure substantially can also reduce low end torque.

So I rode over to the dealer yesterday and started talking to their engine mod expert and he told me something that kind of shocked me and really made start to wonder.

Did you ask him if he was a member of HD Talking? Sounds like stuff we talk about every day. What part surprised you.

Glider, thanks for quick response, he's not trying to sell me a tuner, he was saying that the SE tuner I have is limeted to HD's settings and that with another tuner I have infinite settings. Right now I have a heavy breather air filter system, SE race tuner, and Rush slipons with 1.5 baffles. I am wanting to get the temp down some more.

Maybe tell him to join, we can help him out fixing bikes :lolrolling

Wouldn't it be Great to have someone on the inside that had access to the HD network database for TSB's and hot off the press info and known non-published problems..:)

he was saying that the SE tuner I have is limeted to HD's settings and that with another tuner I have infinite settings.

Hummm,, he is wrong about that. No tuner has more choices than a SEST. The real problem is people don't know what to do with all the choices they have with a SEST...

get rid of the cat !! just did this to my SG and it makes a world of difference.the heat on the leg is noticeably reduced and more rumble from my SE slip ons. the bike pulls better also.

Back