free website stats program Annoying little squeak found at last. | Harley Davidson Forums

Annoying little squeak found at last.

Mongo1958

Annoying little squeak found at last.

I went riding yesterday with a friend. Great weather!!
While riding I’ve noticed an intermittent squeak that has bugged me for a few months. It happens while I’m in a turn or while the bike is on the jiffy stand.
I finally found it!! It’s the front upper engine mount. Specifically, it’s the part of the mount that is mounted to the frame. I don’t think the engine mount is bad. I sprayed the part with some silicon spray. So far it’s still silent.

Any of you ever had this happen and should I just replace the part?

if visual inspection indicates nothing wrong, dont replace it. You could take it off for a closer inspection, but again, only replace if needed.

If it is torqued to specs, you may end up needing to change it.

Oh those little squeeks! Glad you found the problem!

The worst and yet easiest one of these I found on my 2010 FXDC was a rattle coming from mine that progressively got worse over the course of 2 - 3 days. Finally it got to the point that going over bumps I thought the bike was going to fall apart it was banging and clunking so bad.....kept pulling over and looking around.....grabbing parts here and there to see what was loose. Then I pulled into a gas station to fill up........pulled out and the banging was GONE! Dawn fell on my marble head.....weight in fuel tank....sound gone.....ahhhh.....grabbed the tank at the next stop light and pulled up on it and yup.....tank bolt was loose!

You never know how and where you will find that loose part!

Then I pulled into a gas station to fill up........pulled out and the banging was GONE! Dawn fell on my marble head.....weight in fuel tank....sound gone.....ahhhh.....grabbed the tank at the next stop light and pulled up on it and yup.....tank bolt was loose!
You never know how and where you will find that loose part!
Far out, Glad you got it.
I have another intermittent noisy I'm chasing. It's very strang. At first I thought it was my saddle bags or som harware on my pipes.

Now I thing it could be the drive belt. I only hear it when I'm on a supper slab with a concrete divider center section or going over a bridge. It's a variable pitch squeak. Could it be the belt?

Far out, Glad you got it.
I have another intermittent noisy I'm chasing. It's very strang. At first I thought it was my saddle bags or som harware on my pipes.

Now I thing it could be the drive belt. I only hear it when I'm on a supper slab with a concrete divider center section or going over a bridge. It's a variable pitch squeak. Could it be the belt?

I had a very similar one to this.....it turned out to be the horn mouunting bracket bolt had backed out! Easy fix!

Two sources of a buzz/rattle on Sportsters (pre-2004...) gas cap chrome cover loose and horn bracket cracked/loose. Amazing how annoying it can be, yet some put up with it...first thing I noticed on a couple of friends' rides...!:25:

Back