free website stats program Andrews Cam Kit? | Harley Davidson Forums

Andrews Cam Kit?

murph76

Havin a lil change in direction instead of blowin the dough on a big bore stage II lookin to install an ANDREWS GEAR DRIVE CAM KIT W/ LIFTERS, the cam would be the 26G. Will the engine run hotter? which means Id wanna ad a oil cooler, Wondering if anybody has any experience or pros and cons about this setup. I know the gear drive is better over my current chain driven twin cam. Pros/Cons anybody? This will be accompanied with the PCIII and heavy breather A/C, and V/H longshots. Thanks

Kemo and a few others changed to the Andrews 26 grind when they did the roller chain conversion. Many of us here will recommend considering the roller chain conversion rather than the gear drive. The roller chain set up is more forgiving of minor crank runout problems.

TQ

TQ,
you referring to the S/E hybrid cam plate when you say the roller chain? Apologize if it sounds like a dumb question, still learning here. Thanks

Murph I agree with you on just doing cams, you'll be happy, if you go roller chain with the hybrid cam plate kit you get the upgraded oil pump, That's a plus, if you go gear drive on your rubber mount engine you will be getting rid of all nylon adjusters in the engine, that's a plus. It's a coin toss only you can decide. I think the only extra heat will be from you riding harder and enjoying it more, if I lived in Yuma Az. I would invest in a cooler but if I live in the north country, no way, me personally. See what input you get from everyone on the forum then follow your gut. Happy building:)

Chopper, really appreciate the info you've been feedin me, has helped greatly in how this project is going. Right now livin in El Paso, TX so I might go with the cooler. Hopin to get enough input on here to help with the chain or gear drive deal... Harley dealer back in VA is gonna have a GREAT sale where I got some people who can me up to %50 off on parts, so lookin to use this opportunity very WISELY.

Yea, it gets real hot in El Paso a cooler would be money well spent and I'm glad to hear your money is being spent some place other then Barnetts, just a personal thing.
Good luck

Chopper, really appreciate the info you've been feedin me, has helped greatly in how this project is going. Right now livin in El Paso, TX so I might go with the cooler. Hopin to get enough input on here to help with the chain or gear drive deal... Harley dealer back in VA is gonna have a GREAT sale where I got some people who can me up to %50 off on parts, so lookin to use this opportunity very WISELY.

I built a 2000 fxds using gear drive with 570SS cams...WORKED GREAT BUT $$$$$$ I did head work, flowed and manley valves, 95" big bore with 10.25/1 scrm e teflon coated pistons... 42 mikuni, programable tuner, and lots more..

then SOME MORE BIG BUCKS..

I knew I needed a higher volume OIL PUMP (hd's poor design) and then a new cam support plate.....

I went with fueling oil pump and lifters for 450$ and 300$ for a delkron cam plate. THATS 750$$ before the cams and gear drives....

Now mind you this is in about 2001 or 02....
I really had quite the engine and was VERY HAPPY with the total build...

THE ONLY REASON I WOULDN'T GO THIS WAY AGAIN IS THE $$$$$$$ and a NEW STYLE IMPROVEMENT KIT offered TODAY... HYDRAULIC TENSIONERS is the way to go!

You can get a HD KIT from HD for $429.99 that HAS ALL THE NEEDED UPGRADE PARTS for LESS$$$$$ than I paid for the oil pump - lifters and a cam plate.... I can't believe ALL THE PARTS FOR that LITTLE $$$$

The KIT wasn't available back when I did my rebuild.OR I WOULD OF GONE THAT WAY.....

I would not open a motor up on a bike like yours,,, UNLESS I ALSO DID THE OIL PUMP- lifters and CAM PLATE.(.) MY WAY back then,,, cost ME a TON of $$$$$.....

I have a 09 FLHR and BELIEVE ME ,,, I would change to gear drive if the NEW SYSTEM wasn't as good as it is and FOR YOU, the KIT will get your bike up to the NEWER SPECKS and for a lot less money..

I would go with a more duration cam in that lighter bike ,,,, say a andrews 36..... A 26 will give you a lot of torque BUT will FIZZLE OUT a LITTLE EARLY on the RPM scale.. ,,, a 36 or so I'M SURE , would give you MORE of what you want.

so that is what i would do with your bike...

signed....BUBBIE

Yea, it gets real hot in El Paso a cooler would be money well spent and I'm glad to hear your money is being spent some place other then Barnetts, just a personal thing.
Good luck

You know, I was in there today for prob the 3rd time since Ive been down here and the vibe was not cool, go to the parts Dept and wanted the Oil Pressure Set up for my dyna and wasnt in stock, no biggie but just the service and advice ive recieved hasnt been what I would expect from a dealer of that volume. same q's ive asked on here, ive asked there and can't get a decent answer on tech questions. disappointed to say the least had high hopes for a dealer like that.

I built a 2000 fxds using gear drive with 570SS cams...WORKED GREAT BUT $$$$$$ I did head work, flowed and manley valves, 95" big bore with 10.25/1 scrm e teflon coated pistons... 42 mikuni, programable tuner, and lots more..

then SOME MORE BIG BUCKS..

I knew I needed a higher volume OIL PUMP (hd's poor design) and then a new cam support plate.....

I went with fueling oil pump and lifters for 450$ and 300$ for a delkron cam plate. THATS 750$$ before the cams and gear drives....

Now mind you this is in about 2001 or 02....
I really had quite the engine and was VERY HAPPY with the total build...

THE ONLY REASON I WOULDN'T GO THIS WAY AGAIN IS THE $$$$$$$ and a NEW STYLE IMPROVEMENT KIT offered TODAY... HYDRAULIC TENSIONERS is the way to go!

You can get a HD KIT from HD for $429.99 that HAS ALL THE NEEDED UPGRADE PARTS for LESS$$$$$ than I paid for the oil pump - lifters and a cam plate.... I can't believe ALL THE PARTS FOR that LITTLE $$$$

The KIT wasn't available back when I did my rebuild.OR I WOULD OF GONE THAT WAY.....

I would not open a motor up on a bike like yours,,, UNLESS I ALSO DID THE OIL PUMP- lifters and CAM PLATE.(.) MY WAY back then,,, cost ME a TON of $$$$$.....

I have a 09 FLHR and BELIEVE ME ,,, I would change to gear drive if the NEW SYSTEM wasn't as good as it is and FOR YOU, the KIT will get your bike up to the NEWER SPECKS and for a lot less money..

I would go with a more duration cam in that lighter bike ,,,, say a andrews 36..... A 26 will give you a lot of torque BUT will FIZZLE OUT a LITTLE EARLY on the RPM scale.. ,,, a 36 or so I'M SURE , would give you MORE of what you want.

so that is what i would do with your bike...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the input, so your thinkin go with the HD cam upgrade plate w/upgraded oil pump, along with andrew 36s, stick with the chain driven over the gear, I"ll be able to get the upgraded cam plate for half that price on the deals my old HD dealer is having this weekend. (6 FEB)

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded to 26G Cams(gear drive) and had the my bike dyno tuned(using a TTS)

One of the big benifits of this was the bike runs ALOT cooler, as well as increased horse power and torque. It also increased my gas mileage.

I live in NC it gets HOT. I can tell a huge difference sitting a stop light.

My advice gears or new chain. Find a good tuner and get the bike dyno tuned. Search TTS , there is great support available from the experts.

Good Luck

Thanks for the input, so your thinkin go with the HD cam upgrade plate w/upgraded oil pump, along with andrew 36s, stick with the chain driven over the gear, I"ll be able to get the upgraded cam plate for half that price on the deals my old HD dealer is having this weekend. (6 FEB)

THE HD KIT #25284-08 @429.95

SPACER KIT #25285-08 @17.95 (if needed)

check out different cam sizes and DON'T GO TO MUCH BIGGER

ANDREWS makes a good cam set for the HD conversion to hydraulic kit above
ANDREWS------#37N CAMS part #216837 510 LIFT-BOLT IN....
good for a well tuned 88" bike and will work GREAT with what you are doing...

good building

ALSO you might want to check on cams OFFERED by YOUR HD when you get the KIT from them cause of your GREAT discount there......

The 36 g i mentioned earlier is for GEAR drive and the 37N is for the HD kit.... cam #'s offered by ANDREWS...

GET as much from the HD dealer at discounted prices as you can.... look at the LIFT and duration specks for cams and you may get a scrm'n eagle to match the andrews 37N cam...

REMEMBER BIGGER in a cam doesn't give BIGGER results... the 510 lift and the specks on 37N are about the BEST for your bike and keeping it a 88" will work just fine....

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back