free website stats program andrews 26...tfi or pc3 advice needed | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26...tfi or pc3 advice needed

jonny oz

hello, All,
I know this topic has been covered rather extensively, and I have searched and read the threads I could find.
I have ordered the parts to upgrade my 06 night train to the roller chain/hydraulic tensioner set up, and will be installing a set of andrews 26N conversion cams. The bike already has a pc3, and the tune is currently wrong cause my gas mileage is (EDITED) and the rear pipe is blued.

My choices are: drive a 5 hour round trip to the nearest dyno, then pay $100/hr for 4-5 hours of dyno time. (read: at least $500 or $600 expense: bummer!)
OR, buy a TFI for less than $300.

As far as i can tell, the TFI will work well for my engine: ness big sucker, v+h hi-lo straight shots with baffles, and andrews 26 cam.
Now comes my question: this is for those who have experience with BOTH TFI tuned bikes and dyno tuned bikes...will I be losing anything in terms of "seat of the pants" performance by choosing the TFI over a dyno tune with my current pc3? I realize that a dyno tune may yield a few more hp/tq on the dyno sheet, but for twice the price, does an extra 3hp at 5000 rpm matter? not to me.

thanks very much for any info and advice.

Jon

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not tell Dynojet PC3 your setup and see what map they recommend before you buy the TFI. They are very helpful

I think that Jonas has a point. Although I would recommend that most folks opt for the simplicity of the TFI when considering fuel management, you already have the PC3. So I would contact them and give them your exact configuration and see if they can give you a map that is "close enough". Remember the TFI is a fueler that definitely works on the "close enough" principle. Just "tweak" the pots until it is running and responding the way you want. So having a map from Dynojet that get you "close enough" is all you really need. And should you be dissatisfied with that, you can always invest in the TFI later on.

TQ

Do you know what size your baffles are? I had 1.75" had to go to 2.0" baffles, when I went to the 26G cams

Just "tweak" the pots until it is running and responding the way you want.
TQ
TQuentin, I'm curious as to what you ended up with as far as settings on your TFI. I'm doing the same upgrades as you. Might give me a good starting point at least. Thanks

TQuentin, I'm curious as to what you ended up with as far as settings on your TFI. I'm doing the same upgrades as you. Might give me a good starting point at least. Thanks

Did you have the Stage 1 download when you did that, or are you fixin' to do cans, AC and cams all at the same time?

TQ

Had the stage 1 (SE slipons, Se hi flow AC, Stage 1 download and TFI) a couple of years.
doing the cam chain tensioner upgrade thing and Andrews 26N cams now

Had the stage 1 (SE slipons, Se hi flow AC, Stage 1 download and TFI) a couple of years.
doing the cam chain tensioner upgrade thing and Andrews 26N cams now

OK, that is what I wanted to know. I found that with the Stage 1 download, after I up-graded to the roller chain configuration with the new cams, I could turn the TFI all the way off and the engine is performing very well. I have the TFI installed, but with the download, it is working without any decel popping, great throttle response, and no heat problems. I am glad I have the TFI, because if I go with any further mods, it is ready for me.

TQ

Very interesting....
I guess with the extra lift and duration it gets the extra fuel needed to compensate for the added air of the stage 1. I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks

Back