free website stats program andrews 26 cam in 95 build | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26 cam in 95 build

Ok thanks stray dog
WAP.gif

I just went through the comp calculator . I was putting the cylinder bore in for the piston . The compression numbers change .. using the pistons with the full dome 9 cc Bore of 3.885 , -2ºon the cam tw37 , and a 0.040 head gasket
Static comp is 10.26:1
Correct comp is9.43:1.
Another question . What is the deterrent from retarding the cam?
What is the deterrent with going with a 0.040 head gasket?

Thanks F.K.
WAP.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went through the comp calculator . I was putting the cylinder bore in for the piston . The compression numbers change .. using the pistons with the full dome 9 cc Bore of 3.885 , -2ºon the cam tw37 , and a 0.040 head gasket
Static comp is 10.26:1
Correct comp is9.43:1.
Another question . What is the deterrent from retarding the cam?

Thanks F.K.
WAP.gif

Sounds like you're havin fun w/the compression calculator :D

Don't think any deterrent with timing the cams, but it seems as tho you have the cart before the horse.

Is there any budget here???

Remember if head work is in the picture, it opens up more options for cam choices and can get you in the 100hp/100tq range(dolt). Also some compression releases will help you start the thing.
Someone good at head work can also help you immensely with all the questions you have posted here and set you up with a nice streetable package.

Yes its fun lol . Its a great tool .
Iv been looking for the cyco tensioner pads but can't find on line to buy
Anyone could u steer me in the right direction
WAP.gif

I just went through the comp calculator . I was putting the cylinder bore in for the piston . The compression numbers change .. using the pistons with the full dome 9 cc Bore of 3.885 , -2ºon the cam tw37 and a 0.040 head gasket, static comp is 10.26:1, correct comp is9.43:1. Another question . What is the deterrent from retarding the cam?

First, there is no -2* key or sprocket, none that I am aware of anyway. Woods sells a 4* sprocket to retard or advance intake close. There is no real deterrent to retarding or advancing cam timing except in the case of cams with lifts of .600" or more where heads may have been decked and thinner head gaskets used. In these cases, advancing or retarding cam timing positions the open exhaust or intake valve closer to the piston at TDC which can be problematic. However, it should not be an issue with lower lift cams like the 37. Hemrick used to make an adjustable pinion sprocket that would allow cam timing to be advanced or retarded up to 10* but they don't offer that gear any longer. I have been looking for one for two years.:s

'03 lower units did not have the Timken case bearing but still had the hot forged crank; I misspoke in my last post. The hot forged crank was replace by a cold forged crank in early '05 and '07 and up cranks are cast, IIRC. So, again, considering that your build is typical of many that run on stock cranks with no issues, I maintain that if your crank runout is less than .003", run it and save the $$ to remove the lower unit, split the cases and true, balance and weld the crank. Having said that, should you decide to spend the $1500 or there abouts, less shipping, to send the lower unit to Darkhorse; they are the best. However, Silvermoon and Rev Performance will T/B/W cranks for about $300 but you would have to remove the lower unit and send them the crank. This is something you could/should discuss with your indy. I run a 95" motor with BigBoyz heads, 44G cams with CCP at 190+ in a 2005 Deuce; motor makes 104TQ/94HP and I have 25K miles on this motor, stock crank with no issues. Runout was .0025 when I installed the gear drive cams. I am planning to bore and go to 98", better heads and more cam this winter but will not do any crank work. If I were in your position, I would save the money on crank work and upgrading the cam chest and spend that money on headwork and fuel management. JMHO.:s

Couldn't edit quick enough.

You are about to spend a fair amount of money on this project and obviously are investing time thinking and asking questions to develop a plan that will deliver the results you want. I just want you to get those results; no buyer's remorse.:D

Yes its fun lol . Its a great tool. Iv been looking for the cyco tensioner pads but can't find on line to buy. Anyone could u steer me in the right direction.

Here is the link to the tensioner information. You will have to call CYCO and order; I don't believe they take orders online. Not sure if the sell retail; if you have a problem ordering, let me know as I have an account and can buy and have the tensioners and the install tool drop shipped to your address. I would however request that payment in advance.:s

I here ya Dolt and I apreciate it . Actualy I have a spare crank . But as you say if I don't need to I won't . Ill save that for when and if I do . Now could I just replace the crank bearing to the timkin . Or is that unnecessary if the runout is good . Were can I get the cyco cam shoe. Iv been looking around but no luck yet ....
Thanks F.K.
WAP.gif

Ok ill give them a call
WAP.gif

I here ya Dolt and I apreciate it . Actualy I have a spare crank. But as you say if I don't need to I won't . Ill save that for when and if I do. Now could I just replace the crank bearing to the timkin. Or is that unnecessary if the runout is good . Were can I get the cyco cam shoe. Iv been looking around but no luck yet ....

You must have been typing while I was typing but I neglected to include the link for the CYCO tensioner. See my previous post regarding purchasing; I don't believe CYCO takes orders online.

harley davidson chain tensioners

If you have a spare crank, Revolution Performance will true and weld for $165 or true, balance and weld for $450, IIRC but I don't believe that is necessary; your call.

JMHO, but, like I said in my previous, I run a healthy 95" in my 2005 Deuce with the stock lower unit; gear drive cams with runout at .0025", no Timken and no issues. I am soon going to 98", better heads and higher lift cams and will run the same lower unit; no Timken, no welded crank. Your call but I would have the your indy take a look at the wheels in the cases and if he thinks all is good, run it. Plenty of TC88sIMHO better to spend the money on good heads and fuel management.:D

I neglected to answer your previous question regarding deterrent to using a .040" head gasket. No problem unless deck height is .007" or something like that. Typically on the early models deck height runs about .003"-.005" (piston down it the hole). You want to try and keep squish maximum to less than .0045"; that would be deck height plus head gasket thickness. Once you find a machinist, if deck height is excessive, the machinist can always take a few thousandths off the cylinder base to set deck height at or near zero.

I got set up with cyco tenioner heads here in Canada . I got a guy to do the bores and shave the pistons . $80 each jug found a cam and timken bearings for $250
WAP.gif

Yes if I don't have to crack the lower case I won't . What is max runout ?
What runout should I be worried about .
Thanks Dave
WAP.gif

Yes if I don't have to crack the lower case I won't. What is max runout? What runout should I be worried about.
Thanks Dave

Check crank/pinion shaft runout with cam plate removed as shown in the attached figure. You are checking for "total" runout which should be less than .003". You need to make sure the dial indicator is securely attached so that it doesn't move while you rotate the crank. Set the dial at 0; rotate the crank 360* and the total runout is the sum of the variance on either side of 0. In other words as you rotate the crank and the needle moves .001" to the left of 0 and another 180* of rotation the needle moves .001" to the right of 0; total runout is .002"

Good news on the tensioners, machine work, cam and inner bearings. One thing not discussed so far is pushrods and lifters; what are your plans? The SE Tapered Quick Install pushrods are good quality and the kit is reasonably priced; includes pushrods, O-rings, tubes and clips and will run about $135 from an online discount dealer but I don't believe online dealers in the lower 48can ship outside the US anymore; the PN is 18404-08 for the kit. Many options on lifters; the S&S standard or Comp Cams VThunder 850-1 liters or check with the CYCO guys as CYCO introduced a new lifter about six months ago; haven't use them but probably good quality. You can also save some bucks buying your gaskets from CYCO at about half the price of Cometic and good quality; I have been using them for a couple of years now.

1 other thing not discussed was a valve job and maybe compression releases.
Are you planning anything with the heads on a motor w/50,000mi.?

I would at least do a cyl leak down test to see what condition your conditions in

1 other thing not discussed was a valve job and maybe compression releases. Are you planning anything with the heads on a motor w/50,000mi.?

I would at least do a cyl leak down test to see what condition your conditions in

FK is still pondering head work and compression releases have been suggested. Since he is boring cylinders and fitting new pistons, a leak down test would be a waste of time.:s

Back