free website stats program andrews 26 cam in 95 build | Page 20 | Harley Davidson Forums

andrews 26 cam in 95 build

Actualy I did need to change the pot settings . I found at running speed It was jerking and missing . So I put up the green pot but It sounded like it was flooding .
I then proceeded to dial down the green pot tilll finaly its set at 1 . I get no surges, or decel pop and its running a lot smoother. I still get a hesitation once in a while on light throtel when trailing behind some one In a 40 mph zone , but that sounds like transition between Idle , cruze mode , and acelleration.
My MPG has gone down a bit but I may have the other pots too rich. There is no lag when I twist wrist.
F.K.

I'm not sure about the Cobra or their tech support but if they operate like Dobeck you can call them with the mods you've done and they should be able to dial it in for you. There's nothing worse then doing the hit and miss trying to set it correctly. Ask me how I know!!!:D

Actualy I did need to change the pot settings . I found at running speed It was jerking and missing . So I put up the green pot but It sounded like it was flooding .
I then proceeded to dial down the green pot tilll finaly its set at 1 . I get no surges, or decel pop and its running a lot smoother. I still get a hesitation once in a while on light throtel when trailing behind some one In a 40 mph zone , but that sounds like transition between Idle , cruze mode , and acelleration.
My MPG has gone down a bit but I may have the other pots too rich. There is no lag when I twist wrist.
F.K.

The slight hesitation just might be the cam overlap you're hearing. Mine is more noticeable going slow but I don't worry about it. There is no hesitation when throttling up or running steady, just when I'm going slow and slightly letting off the gas.

Actualy I did need to change the pot settings . I found at running speed It was jerking and missing . So I put up the green pot but It sounded like it was flooding. I then proceeded to dial down the green pot tilll finaly its set at 1. I get no surges, or decel pop and its running a lot smoother. I still get a hesitation once in a while on light throtel when trailing behind some one In a 40 mph zone , but that sounds like transition between Idle , cruze mode , and acceleration. My MPG has gone down a bit but I may have the other pots too rich. There is no lag when I twist wrist.
F.K.

It is very difficult, if not impossible, to optimize fuel economy and performance with a pot type fuel management system in a Stage 2 (cams) configuration. Particularly with a cam like the SE204 that can be a tuning challenge even with a more sophisticated fuel management system on a dyno if the build is a high compression build. If you optimize performance, there will likely be some partial throttle issues and if you optimize fuel economy, you will not leave some TQ/HP in the garage. Like a carburetor, tuning with a pot type system is a compromise and, IMHO, may be more a compromise than a carburetor.

coopernicus said:
The slight hesitation just might be the cam overlap you're hearing. Mine is more noticeable going slow but I don't worry about it. There is no hesitation when throttling up or running steady, just when I'm going slow and slightly letting off the gas.

The 204 cam is short overlap cam; I doubt that the cam overlap is the source of the hesitation. The only way the OP will optimize performance and fuel economy is with a more sophisticated fuel management system and a dyno tune. A step in the right direction would be to get the bike on a dyno (or install an AFR meter) and change the pot settings as dictated by the AFR; tune for idle, tune for WOT and then for partial throttle. As Jeff points out, trial and error is a waste of time and will not produce optimum results..:(

It has bee my experience that a big bore upgrade, with cams, properly tuned will get near the same mileage as before the upgrade. It won't appear that way because the new found performance usually results in "playing the throttle". :sThe only way to accurately compare mileage between the two configurations would be to take a 100 (50 mile out and 50 back) over the same stretch of highway holding as close as possible to, say, 70mph and compare mileage.

new update . I have been dialing in my fuel system and I now have my green pot set at about 3 and my yellow pot ( acceleration ) at 5 and I'm not getting any surging . I was way too lean before. this has helped with the transition at slow speeds from throtel off to slight throttle on . My cruse highway ride has smoothed right out .
I think if I want to get it any better I will have to get a good tuner, but I have to find the $$$ , untill then , it is what it is lol. The acceleration it realy nice around the three to four hundred rpms , You realy start noticing it at around 3000 though .
The gf realy likes the extra power and sound too lol.

F.K.

That's what I noticed too with the 204s. I have prob. lost about 5 mpgs overall with these cams but that is without a dyno tune and expensive tuner....I have the gen 3 tuner. I am getting 40 highway and 35 local....well worth it....The bike has a killer lope now and sounds cool as heck. Waaaay better acceleration now and I don't even have any head work done. Congrats on your build.

Yes I think I'm getting about the same .The acceleration is realy good now and you are right about the sound . I'm running a bit rich now , but better rich then lean .

F.K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I think I'm getting about the same .The acceleration is realy good now and you are right about the sound . I'm running a bit rich now , but better rich then lean .

F.K.

I talked to Dobeck and they told me with the gen 3 you cannot adjust the idle fuel. That is really the only thing I wish I could adjust better.....that being said, I can live with it for now till I can afford a better tuner like the power vision. My settings are g-3 y-2.5 r-2.5 gb-2 yb-5 rb-5. I found that my yb setting was too low causing bike to be in acceleration mode too soon so I raised my switch points. This bike is a blast to ride now...pure joy:)

actualy I couldnt afford to go to the 95" yet so I still have it 88" new tensioners and the 204 cam . I have Vance and Hines slipons and a K&N air filter
F.K.

I have s.e. slip ons with cats and baffles removed, replaced with big city thunder qq baffles, arlen ness inverted a c , bypass on oxy sensors, 204 cams and gen 3.

:D Got my power vision set up yesterday after taking off the cobra 11, and couldn't be happier, even with the caned tune .I got it with the pro tuner so now I have to take off the exhaust to drill and weld in o2, 18mm bungs to fit the wide band o2 sensors .Got it as a package deal for under $1000 CND funds .

F.K.

Back