free website stats program And one day the axe just fell............... | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

And one day the axe just fell...............

I'm sorry to hear about you losing your job and I really hope you land on your feet. Now what I'm about to say may not be too popular, but I have to say it. I read all over everyone complaining that their North American Motorcycle, car or in my case trailer is peppered with chinese parts. As a small manufacturer the only way I am still operating and employing workers is to purchase a certain amount of cheap offshore components. There are alot of companies that are in the same position that I am. Our governments opened their arms to the offshore industry and in most cases they are paying less tarrifs to bring in and distribute their sweatshop goods than we pay to sell our products to each other in Canada and the United States.Yes it ticks me off that we have do do this to keep our doors open ,but what is the alternative?

Fisher;

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope that everything works out for you and yours. In my opinion you have always been a calming and level-headed voice here on HDTimeline. I hope that you will continue to be so.

Good luck in all your endeavors.

Fisher, Ex-MD'er here. Sorry for your pain. Not trying to be too personal, what co or at least business? What area are you in? I grew up in Elkridge, in Ho. co, and spent my last 10 yrs there in Pasadena. Moved down here 07/05. Thought MD was expensive to live, But NC has them by leaps and bounds. Tracy

Sorry that you lost your job. Hopefully things will work out down the road but in the mean time and in between time that pretty much sucks.

We in Canada are just starting to feel the effects of the global melt-down that you folks have been dealing with for a while now. Most people up here still don't appreciate how bad its gonna get but I'm afraid they are in for a reality check.

A few months back I started checking labels a little more carefully cause I wanted to make sure my cash didn't go towards anything "made in China" any more. Oddly enough, it was a trip to the Harley shop that pissed me off cause all the expensive t-shirts on the rack were made in China. Hmmm, probably cost two bucks to make but I'm expected to pay fourty bucks. Something is very wrong with this picture.........

I have nothing against the Chinese but quite frankly, I'm getting sick of their cheap, toxic, chemical laden crap being dumped on our shores. It's getting extremely difficult to find anything on our store shelves that doesn't say "made in China". I sure hope we can change this situation but its not looking good so far.

As long as all of our cash keeps flowing out to sweat shops across the pacific, our standard of living is going to continue heading toward the toilet.:nosad

I sit here and read a lot of posts and rarely comment, but where does the answer lie? Do we as Americans become an isolationist country?
Do we shut the doors and say enough is enough? We all know that the powers that be have sold out America for profit. Look around how much do we still own? Big business and the government have for years done this it did not happen overnight. I personally don't have the answer, wish I did . But it seems to me that we have everything we need to build and produce the best products in the world. From tshirts to spaceships. I personally do not make lots of money and don't really care as long as i can keep a roof over my head and food in my belly i'll survive. My scoot may not be new and my car might be a piece of crap but it gets me where I need to be. I feel we as Americans have been used by the world and I really don't care about some other countrys finacial stability. Wake up America look in your own back yard and help those in need here.
Sorry guys I'll get off my soapbox now. Please take this as it was meant just the ramblings and thoughts of a tired American
Blvd

The biggest things I see ruining everything from individual's lives to entire corporations are:

1) We want everything to be super-duper cheap so we can HAVE IT ALL, BABY HAVE IT ALL! What ever happened to being frugal? Whatever happened to living simply? I drive a car with some dents and stuff BUT IT'S PAID FOR!! My goal is to get 300,000 miles on it before I buy a newer (but used) car. And what happened to buying used? My 2009 XL 1200 is the FIRST bike I've ever purchased new on credit. I should have waited...I've seen several identical used ones for sale of late at deep discounts.

2) No one saves or reduces debt anymore. What happened to saving up to reduce credit debt? My 1980 CB 650 Honda I paid cash for, $2,100.00 for everything including two helmets and sissy bar. I bought it in the fall of 1981 as it had been on the showroom floor for almost two years so the dealer gave me 10% discount.

It seems everyone in America from the average Joe to our government is wicked colossal in huge amounts of debt! I see "phony wealth" all around me; Joes that make no more money than I do - work in the same office I do have houses three times larger than mine, and drive brand spanking new cars that I know cost $50,000.00 plus! NO ONE it seems plans for retirement anymore...I mean why bother the Gov't will just bail us all out and take care us when we're old, right? Spend, spend, spend until we can't make the interest on our payments and have to trap squirrels in the front yard to stave off starvation...but hey lookit my new Corvette/Mercedes/Hummer!! If I lose my job (my office just announced layoffs by the way) I'll just scream for the Gov't to bail me out! And big US corporations are run with the same mentality...for six years the economy BOOMED and NOT ONE of these giant companies SAVED or GOT OUT OF DEBT???????? NO! They went DEEPER AND DEEPER into debt to "get all they can and can all they get." And NOW they're begging for bailouts...which means you and I the working Joe taxpayer will get the shaft...as our Gov't says the solution is to SPEND SPEND SPEND SPEND SPEND SPEND

"Keeping moving nothing to see here. Authorities have subdued the blogger and proper medications are being administered. You will get the tax bill in the mail."

:newsmile091:

PS Just read on the web Bill Gates was in Washington to persuade Pres. Elect Obama that we need EVEN MORE deficit spending to "save the economy..."

So how come Gateway isn't in debt if deficit spending works so well???

Totally sorry about getting the axe...bummer, dude. I'm wit ya...announcement of big layoff just came where I work and I'm totally at the bottom of the seniority list...very good chance I'll be among first to go. It'll be rough but I'm a bit ahead financially as I've tried to avoid debt like the plague my whole life.

Moe.

Last edited:
So many soap boxes and so little time.:D

Let's not turn this into a political thread about what's right and what's not right in our country.

Thanks

Sad to hear about your loss. It just makes me sad everyday to hear people going through tuff times. Companies keep making cuts and then wounder why sales are down??. Eventually all these jobs being sent over seas are going to back fire on these big companies. Soon there will be no money for people to buy these products, because no one has a job. These companies have got to relize that people need jobs in order to spend and buy products..

Back