free website stats program Analog Dipstick Problems (P/N 62896-00B) | Harley Davidson Forums

Analog Dipstick Problems (P/N 62896-00B)

I purchased the Analog dipstick (P/N 62896-00B) for my '08 Heritage over 1-1/2 years ago and now it falls out when starting the bike, cracking the throttle and/or going over major bumps.

Is it possible that the dipstick shaft is too long and connecting with other moving parts which causes this to happen?

I've had one on my bike for 2 years, no problems. I'll have to monitor this post just in case. Best of luck.

I've had an HD analog unit in my '94 since '97 and it has never come out. I always dry it off before I reinstall. I know that there is about 30lb when the engine is at 2000+rpm and 12lb to 15lb at idle. You have to be very careful not to overfill the oil tank.

I know the manual says to lube it BUT maybe too slippery

Moving parts in the oil tank? Try cleaning the rubber stopper and the tank neck, then try it again.

Glider,

Thanks for the response about "Moving parts", I just realized that I saw a thread talking about the 6 speed transmission dipstick versus the clutch cable.

Thanks for setting me straight. One thing that I did notice between the stock oil dipstick and the analog oil dipstick is that the rubber is slightly larger in diameter on the stock version.

I purchased the Analog dipstick (P/N 62896-00B) for my '08 Heritage over 1-1/2 years ago and now it falls out when starting the bike, cracking the throttle and/or going over major bumps.

Is it possible that the dipstick shaft is too long and connecting with other moving parts which causes this to happen?

Mine did the same thing and a friend of mine's done it also.What I did to mine and his was put a 1/4" fender washer on the dipstick, slide it all the way up and put it behind the rubber seal, it's a pain to get it up there but it will go. It don't come out anymore :D

Just a thought... it seems to me that those dipsticks have a rubber boot that had fins on it to help hold it in the tank neck. (fins for lack of a better work) You might try taking it to Napa or some other auto parts store and finding an o-ring that fits sunggly over it, and thin enough to only increase the diameter a smidge.

Back