free website stats program An Unpleasant Trip | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

An Unpleasant Trip

I did about the same thing last summer. It was on a deserted (closed) back road in the woods that was crumbling. I was making a slow u-turn and then I was on the ground and the gas was pouring out of the top of my bike. The lens was off the back blinker but other than that, no damage. I had to call my son to come help me pick the bike up and had to wait on the abandoned road for about 45 minutes with a rather large black snake watching over me. Made me start to think about taking another safety class, working out and building up some muscles and carrying pepper spray!

I was worked up about it for awhile but got over it by reading some posts on here and realizing that these things happen and can happen to anyone and hopefully, now that it has happened to me, it won't happen again. :)

Thankfully, you and your bike are fine.

Been there done that :newsmile091: No harm, no foul. You are certainly not alone.

Could have been that the ground was soft and the front tire just dug in a little when you turned it, that is all it takes. Lesson learned.

As was said before, it is probably better to let it go down, than to try to out perform gravity.

Glad you are okay.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm feeling a little better about the whole affair. One "good" aspect that came out of the event is that I found out I can lift my 700 lb. bike upright by using the technique taught by the MSF. Once I realized I wasn't hurt I just backed up to the bike, lifted with my legs and was able to pick it up rather easily. Minimal strain on the back, strong leg muscles did the work. Hoping not to have to use that bit of training again though. Best to you all.
Ishmael

Yup, been there, done that...

Speaking of crashes, last year a Volvo tried to turn left while I was overtaking him. Result: left side of the car dented in three places - see pictures. The funny thing was I didn't even go down, just stood there looking straight at him trying to get out of his car (his front fender was bent so he had to break open the door). Crash bars and the saddlebag saved my day, and the damage to my scoot was nothing a bit of putty & paint touch-up couldn't fix.
It was almost worth the ticket I got for 'reckless driving'...
Crash 1.jpg Crash 2.jpg

Been there - Done that! Unfortunately for me, I did it in the parking lot of a motorcycle dealer on a beautiful spring day with lots of bikers out. I didn't know my face could turn that shade or red!

Really glad to hear you and the bike were OK.

WAP.gif

sorry, don't know what happened with above post. I was saying that you're not alone. I've let my Ultra down three times. Each
Time, I was not really moving..It just got over that critical point of lean.
WAP.gif

Back