free website stats program An Unpleasant Trip | Harley Davidson Forums

An Unpleasant Trip

Ishmael

OK, gotta get this off my mind quickly. Riding home from work yesterday in some brisk wind, gusts better than 30 mph. Yeah, it does make the bike a little squirrely, but overall not too bad, I just wouldn't want to ride like that all day. Arrived home and started across a little patch of dried grass toward the garage. I decided to change my approach at the last second, turned the handlebars ever so slightly and promptly had the front end slide out from under me. I honestly can't say whether or not I touched the front brake but I've been working hard to break myself of that habit. I was going a raging 1 to 2 mph. The bike never slid, just laid over on the engine guard while I rolled across the yard. The floorboard pivoted up and the bank angle sensor shut the engine down. Absolutely no damage to the bike but my ego is severely bruised and I'm back to square one thinking I'm getting better at this biking stuff. I'll be back on the Fatboy today, taking my safety course this weekend and thanking The Man that He saw fit to let me learn a lesson with no more harm than this. I post this to remind everyone and especially myself that there is not a single millisecond when you can let your guard down. Be safe out there.
Ishmael

Yep, it happens quick. I'm glad you and the bike came out okay. If I had to pick, I would always hope you are okay, bike parts are more easily replaced than body parts. :s

A broken ego is better than a broken spirit or bike IMO, I have done this, good for having an engine guard, just one of those things that happen:s

OK, gotta get this off my mind quickly. Riding home from work yesterday in some brisk wind, gusts better than 30 mph. Yeah, it does make the bike a little squirrely, but overall not too bad, I just wouldn't want to ride like that all day. Arrived home and started across a little patch of dried grass toward the garage. I decided to change my approach at the last second, turned the handlebars ever so slightly and promptly had the front end slide out from under me. I honestly can't say whether or not I touched the front brake but I've been working hard to break myself of that habit. I was going a raging 1 to 2 mph. The bike never slid, just laid over on the engine guard while I rolled across the yard. The floorboard pivoted up and the bank angle sensor shut the engine down. Absolutely no damage to the bike but my ego is severely bruised and I'm back to square one thinking I'm getting better at this biking stuff. I'll be back on the Fatboy today, taking my safety course this weekend and thanking The Man that He saw fit to let me learn a lesson with no more harm than this. I post this to remind everyone and especially myself that there is not a single millisecond when you can let your guard down. Be safe out there.
Ishmael

Was not the front brake so much as having the wheel turned near to or at the lock, movement is such it is called a low side or high side...right into the rolling radius of the turn. Going 1 or 2 mph still has enough energy to be like someone nudged you just at exactly the wrong point of your unbalance. Don't beat yourself up, this may be a classic case of "--they all do it..." only it is not just a 2-wheel H-D phenom! :shock

Been there done that also. When slow maneuvers are made you are more apt to go down when making last second turning. Glad you and the bike are OK!

If that hasn't happened to someone, they are not riding a bagger. But these are VERY important lessons. With so little rake on these things and a higher center of gravity, when the front wheel is turned hard it will allow the tire to slide on anything with a lower coefficient of friction (sand, water, ice, leaves, damp grass, etc.). When that front tire starts sliding, any lean is going to magnify FAST!!

TQ

Most of us have done it. My only advice is to let it go down. If you try to muscle it back up, you'll tear a hammy.

Back