free website stats program An On The Road Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

An On The Road Question

I carry a tarp large enough to cover me and the bike. I find it handy if I'm in a riding mood and just need a few hours sleep. I'm not a big camper enthusiast because of my age, but sometimes a campfire is preferable to a TV.
The suggestions about parking overnight are right on. I just want my bike right outside my door, even though I have never had a problem.
A GPS is a must have in towns & cities. I gots an old Zumo 220, used it almost two years now. I just had the maps updated (almost $60.00), but no fun being hopelessly lost.
Try to keep in touch with some loved ones on a regular basis. I travel alone, and it helps calm the family nerves. lol

Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, Best Western, Days Inn. My wife prefers the hotel chains while I just prefer a clean room and comfortable bed. If they aren't available, we'll settle for the motels providing they're clean and the neighborhood looks OK. Some places are nice and let you park under the entrance but some say fire inspectors will not allow it.

Try to park the bike where I can see it and cover it with a non-HD cover. No use advertising what's under wraps. Make sure you have insurance to cover you just in case.

My Ultra has the security system w/siren and I have the remote.. uh, sorta have the remote. Put it through the wash cycle once:wall and haven't tried it since.

Like others have said, don't over-obsess. You'll enjoy the ride more. :cheers:rider

Once you start touring, short rides will be just a tease.

Dynajoe keeping in touch with the folks back home is a great suggestion.

I have a small light weight bike cover I cover the bike with @ night, I think the bike is less likely to be messed with if a thief has to take the cover off. As for hotels/motels we very seldom get reservations but just try and find a room along our route, so far we have always been able to find a room, although a few have been a bit on the sketchy side, barely better than camping.

Agree with glenreeder, a bike cover is a good idea. Whenever I have traveled away from home, I used my cover, not only does it keep the morning dew off the bike but it may make a thief think twice.

You could start by looking online for motorcycle friendly spots. I remember years ago there was a place near Pigeon Forge that catered to bikers. They had seperate 'A' frame buildings if I remember right. Anyway. You can try to get a floor level room and park yer bike in front of the door. If you get a floor that's not ground level park under a light or near the loby.

Ill tell you what if you want to camp in my yard you can. If you want to use my shower in the AM you can. Oh and you can put your bike in my garage for the night. If you want to stay in a motel you can and you can still leave your bike in my garage and I'll take you to your hotel. People have done the same for me and I had just met them.

Has anyone ever actually had any trouble with somebody messing with their bike at a hotel/motel?

When I travel on my bike, I always ask the front desk (before paying for the room) if it's ok if I park the bike in front of the lobby entrance. I've never been told I couldn't. If I am ever told I cant, I'll just leave and find another hotel that will let me.

Been on a few cross country trips lately, I also travel alone. I like to camp, however i always try and stay at the KOA's. They have great facilities and if you do not like tent camping ( which I prefer) they have camper cabins. Somewhat less than a cheap motel. Might give it a try. Bike security, Never a problem while camping. :)

Wow! HDT may be having some growing pains but as long as there are folks like you all who responded with good information, I'm in it for the long haul. I'm beginning to think security is not as big an issue as I thought. Be careful, minimize the risk, carry insurance and enjoy the ride. Thank you one and all.

Ishmael (this is really my cat's name folks, I'm a Southern redneck)

Back