free website stats program Amsoil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Amsoil

I just called my local Harley dealer to make my first 1,000 oil change. They asked me what kind of oil I wanted to use. I asked them what my choices were. They told me Harley oil or Amsoil and redline in the trans. I then asked will this cost me extra with the full maintenance plan using Amsoil he replied no.

That just doesn't sound like something a dealer would do. Amsoil is 3x the cost of Harley oil, more considering the dealers cost on HD. But I'm not familiar with a maint. plan that includes the cost of consumables.

Use what you are comfy with. Change it regular and never install a dry filter,always charge your new filter before install...
How do you charge the filter and put it on without making a mess? Seems like the oil will run out when you lay the filter down to put it on? I will be changing oil for the first time tomorrow and could use the advice.

Where's you're dealer? I've only ever seen 1 HD dealer that had anything on their shelves except HD oil.

When I was up in Connecticut I stopped in a dealer and was surprised to see Amsoil on their shelf too as I thought dealers could only sell HD stuff?

I started using Amsoil a few years ago in Transmission of my 90 FLHS and liked the way it made it shift smoother as it seemed so tight after I rebuilt it. I also use their MCV in engine as I believe it protects it better than Dino oil. I joined their preferred customer program and it saves me a little bit on purchases but to each his own in regards to synthetics, I like Amsoil but I also like Spectro and used it in my 2008 Ultra 6 speed ( it seemed to make it quieter) I really just like the fact that Synthetics ( regardless of brand) hold up better in higher temperatures than Dino oil and this is important to me in my air cooled Harley.

Now my 2008 Hummer gets Valvoline Dino and gets changed every 3000 and I don't care because it works well and is cheaper ( 5 quart container at walmart for $12.00) My $.03 worth

Even though in my opinion Amsoil is a high quality lubricant, the main point that I particularly dislike about it is its multi-level marketing. For example, you can't buy it without going through Sam who is the dealer (or preferred buyer that is either enticed or forced to pay a fee, in order to buy Amsoil) that gets it from Charles the distributor (who is nothing more than the first person in the neighborhood that contacted Amsoil to start with) that orders it from the Amsoil warehouse and distribution center, to be drop shipped to the end user.

Allbeit that it doesn't physically pass through all of these individuals hands mind you but the segmented increase in pricing does.

I'm not sure if the Amsoil company's vitamins are sold in the same multi-level marketing manner as their lubricant products but so far, my bike doesn't need any other additional nutritional supplements other than Lucas.

One other thing that I've noticed when I was using Amsoil, was that it turned an extremely dark color prior to the time of next service interval. This color change does not occur with the Full Synthetic lube that I am using.

I bought My 09 FLHR from CASCADE HARLEY in Bend Oregon.... Before I knew what oil They used at the dealership, I said to the owner that I use Redline products and Bragged to him about the Redline Shockproof Gear Oil...
He laughingly said: go look on the shelf...

I did and saw a FULL LINE of Redline products HE offered... because of the NOISY tranny, he suggested notice i said SUGGESTED to use the shockproof in ALL the bikes He sold..

I don't think he put in in for free BUT would change it out THEN for free and you pay for the product, Saying HE uses the Best so Why not sell it as the Best.. Very little syn3 was noticed there.....

He personally used all Redline products for many years...

Hats Off to that Dealer..

Wished he were closer, I bought and traded off my 2000 FXDS on a breakdown when passing thru his location on my way back up to Wa.

signed....BUBBIE

How do you charge the filter and put it on without making a mess? Seems like the oil will run out when you lay the filter down to put it on? I will be changing oil for the first time tomorrow and could use the advice.
I do about 1/2 to 3/4 fill into the filter before I start the oil change.
By the time I'm ready to put the filter on the bike, most of the oil has been absorbed into the filter (can't hardly see the oil) and I don't get any drain-back while screwing the filter on.

Back