free website stats program Amsoil question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Amsoil question

I still don't understand. According to my service manual, the transmission and primary fluid is the same:
Genuine Harley-Davidson Formula+ Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant 99851-05 x 1 QT Bottle

Try some gear oil in your tranny next service, you will be amazed , Trust us:s

I still don't understand. According to my service manual, the transmission and primary fluid is the same:
Genuine Harley-Davidson Formula+ Transmission and Primary Chaincase Lubricant 99851-05 x 1 QT Bottle

I have a FXDL. The manual does state to use Formula+ in both the Primary and also in the 6-speed gear box. After about 6-7K miles I switched over to Spectro 6-Speed 75W-140 in the Gearbox only..There is no question about it. The tranny does shift much more smooth and is a whole bunch quieter.
It did take out a lot of the shifting "clank" that I really enjoyed hearing when I threw a gear, but what can you do.:(

I still use Formula Plus in the Primary.

Hmmm Tank say we can't mention brand when that was the question, not sure I get that one, but do understand where Tank is coming from so I will give it my best shot.
I say the Original Poster did good putting his choice in. I have read quite a bit about oils before switching to the same choice as the O.P. The company man is paid to promote his product which there is nothing wrong with that. But make sure (as Tank also mentioned) that whatever choice you buy (and by the way the one you did is) 100% synthetic. This is the main thing. Many brands will say blended etc, they are mixed with petroleum oil to give them a price edge. In an air cooled engine it isn't worth the savings.
!* Look on the net and find an independent dealer that lives near you and you will save loads on shipping !!!.
Oh and remember if you are on the road and need to add oil you can mix any oil with the synthetic. It just waters it down some.

Key here is for most modern EVO based HD and newer products, 100% Synthetic Motor Oil, 100% Synthetic Tranny Gear Oil and Primary/Clutch Gear Oil (Mineral or Dino oil based w/o friction modifiers that will degrade long term wet clutch life. On the Sportster, since Tranny/Primary/Clutch are all in one hole, Primary/Clutch/Gear Oil w/o friction modifiers or Formula + (Mineral or Dino oil based) are a good choice.

Amsoil of course will promote it's own products...but knowing that all the Euro & Japanese big bore racing performance/sportbikes that use Motor Oil to lube all three places DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC because of possible short life oil wetted clutch slipping/burnout due to those friction modifiers, which are very slippery.

Back