amplifier

Discussion in 'Communications And Radio' started by singer68, Aug 15, 2012.

1. singer68

singer68 Member

Hi all!

Just wanted to get some feedback as to what is the best amplifier for a 2006 street glide stock radio?

I do intend to upgrade the fairing speakers next, I don't intend to add any other speakers, and I would like it to sound powerful and clear as possible so my fiance can hear them a little better, and so I can hear them better as well doing 75 on the freeway.

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

IMO, Hogtunes have quality products and good customer support. If you can only do 1 thing at a time, do speakers first. An amp won't help the stock speakers much. I have only front Hogtunes speakers, and they are noticeably clearer than stock at speed. My buddy has speakers (front only) and an amp and there is no comparison. His system "thumps" and can be felt, where mine just sounds good. As far as improvement on the back, the two biggest aids IMO, will be a taller windshield, and ear plugs to block the buffeting wind noise that comes from your helmet and windshield.

3. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

I switched from Hogtunes to J&M Audio. I did it for 2 reasons J&M has the 7.25 speakers with mid-range and tweeter pods that they call the Rokker speakers and J&M has a 250 watt amp. Hogtune is a good system and it cost less then the J&M system but the Hogtune only has 5" speakers and 140watt amp. I have no complaint with Hogtunes while I used it and they have great customer service but the J&M system gives you a little more bang for the buck.

4. wildman9

wildman9 Active Member

I use Hogtunes as well, no complaints and great customer service

5. cheap80z28

cheap80z28 Member

i have the hog tunes tweeter pod added first. then next i added the 4 boom audio speakers. followed by th boom amp. every bit added great sound and now i have trouble hearing the rush muffs.

6. harley@16

harley@16 Junior Member

I've been looking at an Alpine amp from Crutchfield.com. It is compact and you can hook up an iPod direct only 149.00Alpine KTP-445U "Power Pack"

7. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

That Alpine amp is a 4ohm amp you need a 2ohm amp in your bike. The newer bikes with the HK head unit have the 2ohm audio system so the 4ohm amp won't work very well in the bike.

8. singer68

singer68 Member

thanks everyone! I think i like the J&M speakers the best so far, does anyone know if I can buy them through Harley?

9. Spearodafish

Spearodafish Banned

Hey Singer68,

I'm interested in what you find out. I saw the J&M guys at Sturgis last week and that system sounded real good! They had extra speakers mounted in the saddle bags facing up and forward, but it was clear and audible enough it should be heard on the freeway. I was real pleased with the amp mounted inside the bat-wing on top of the radio. Been web searching a bit, but If you find a local dealer for the J&M, please PM me with details.

Thanks & hope it works!

10. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

Don't know if you can get the J&M equipment from a HD dealer but you can find deals on ebay or contact J&M. The system is a easy install so you DIY