Amperage of cigarette lighter socket?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Jim B., Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jim B.

Jim B. Junior Member

I know that H-D recommends not using the cigarette lighter socket for anything other than the cigarette lighter. However, I'd like to be able to use the socket on my 09 Road Glide for my GPS unit. Does anyone know the amperage that the cigarette lighter socket can handle? My Goldwing has a 12 volt socket that's rated at 5 amps and that's enough to run my Garmin GPS. Thanks.

2. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

I used the cigarette lighter for a short time to power a Sirius receiver. No problems with power. However every time I turned the handle bars a hard left the adapter would hit the gas tank. I ended up wiring to the acc switch.

3. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

I just checked my service manual HD socket is 15 amp.

4. Freebee

Freebee Member

I can also verify the Garmin will be fine plugged into the lighter socket. I have had my Street Pilot 2720 running on mine for four days.

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

JimB, 5A is fine, which should hold 60-70W plenty (12V x 5A = 60W to 14V x 5A = 70W). It will definitely blow if overloaded before the 15A one in your fuse block. Your GPS draws 1A max. I would think (they are pretty efficient and have their own battery backup power), so your should be good to go.

If powering more than one device, just add up all the accessories you will be running (common to run like Smitty says more than one device using the so-called "Siamese" Y cords) and then double it, THAT is the fuse value you should use, NEVER equal or exceed your fuse block accessory fuse, if it comes with 15A or 20A replace it with lower value one than standard 15 Amp blue one in your fuse block...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Junior Member

Thanks, all. The GPS is going to make the trip with the Road Glide to Sturgis this year.

7. B-1B_Guy

B-1B_Guy Junior Member

my buddy powers his GPS and I use mine to charge the iPod. zero problems.

8. martin14

martin14 Active Member

hmm

my Garmin has its own 1A fuse inside the charger plug,
    so I have no problems at all with it.

9. Freebee

Freebee Member

LOL... or the 10 million bikes on trailers !! :newsmile07:

10. fireman54

fireman54 Member

This is one of the reasons why HD recommends not using the cig lighter. The other reason is the cigarette light has a skirt that helps keep water out. They are just covering their butts.