free website stats program Amperage of cigarette lighter socket? | Harley Davidson Forums

Amperage of cigarette lighter socket?

Jim B.

I know that H-D recommends not using the cigarette lighter socket for anything other than the cigarette lighter. However, I'd like to be able to use the socket on my 09 Road Glide for my GPS unit. Does anyone know the amperage that the cigarette lighter socket can handle? My Goldwing has a 12 volt socket that's rated at 5 amps and that's enough to run my Garmin GPS. Thanks.

I used the cigarette lighter for a short time to power a Sirius receiver. No problems with power. However every time I turned the handle bars a hard left the adapter would hit the gas tank. I ended up wiring to the acc switch.

I can also verify the Garmin will be fine plugged into the lighter socket. I have had my Street Pilot 2720 running on mine for four days.

I know that H-D recommends not using the cigarette lighter socket for anything other than the cigarette lighter. However, I'd like to be able to use the socket on my 09 Road Glide for my GPS unit. Does anyone know the amperage that the cigarette lighter socket can handle? My Goldwing has a 12 volt socket that's rated at 5 amps and that's enough to run my Garmin GPS. Thanks.

JimB, 5A is fine, which should hold 60-70W plenty (12V x 5A = 60W to 14V x 5A = 70W). It will definitely blow if overloaded before the 15A one in your fuse block. Your GPS draws 1A max. I would think (they are pretty efficient and have their own battery backup power), so your should be good to go.

If powering more than one device, just add up all the accessories you will be running (common to run like Smitty says more than one device using the so-called "Siamese" Y cords) and then double it, THAT is the fuse value you should use, NEVER equal or exceed your fuse block accessory fuse, if it comes with 15A or 20A replace it with lower value one than standard 15 Amp blue one in your fuse block...

Last edited:
Thanks, all. The GPS is going to make the trip with the Road Glide to Sturgis this year.

hmm

my Garmin has its own 1A fuse inside the charger plug,
so I have no problems at all with it.

I used the cigarette lighter for a short time to power a Sirius receiver. No problems with power. However every time I turned the handle bars a hard left the adapter would hit the gas tank.

This is one of the reasons why HD recommends not using the cig lighter. The other reason is the cigarette light has a skirt that helps keep water out. They are just covering their butts.

Back