free website stats program Amp gauge, how accurate? | Harley Davidson Forums

Amp gauge, how accurate?

Ron41

Ok, so I'm noticing that my amp gauge is always reading like 16 amps when I'm cruising, is it really charging this high? and if it is will this "cook" the battery?

Are you referring to the "volt" gauge?

If so normal voltage on this would be a bit above 14 volts when cruising. You may want to check the voltage at the battery with an accurate volt gauge.

MY 09 classic runs about the same. Upwards of 15 to 16 volts also. It never really changes. Everything seems to be ok. When I don't ride for a few days usually due to the weather I put the battery tender on it and it only takes a few minutes to top off the battery.

MY 09 classic runs about the same. Upwards of 15 to 16 volts also. It never really changes. Everything seems to be ok. When I don't ride for a few days usually due to the weather I put the battery tender on it and it only takes a few minutes to top off the battery.
my 09 classic runs the same volts as yours i checked it with a meater and it is putting out about 14.4

Mine generally shows around 14.4 when cruising. If showing 16 amps it may be overcharging. I would suggest to have the charging system checked out.

Ok, so I'm noticing that my amp gauge is always reading like 16 amps when I'm cruising, is it really charging this high? and if it is will this "cook" the battery?

Like Glider said if you are reading volts you may want to double check that at the battery with a good volt meter, that is a high reading and it could kill your battery

Best to leave it connected all the time - it's a tender, not a charger.

Back