American Custom Exhaust

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by j.lawson, May 7, 2013.

1. j.lawson

j.lawson Member

Any one tried them? Any thaughts? Particularly the "Bomber". Im looking into a set for an 08 Ultra.
    Thanks John
  2. FerrousBueller

FerrousBueller Junior Member

I've had a pair of these for a while: American Custom, The Bullet. At the same time I bought the "Mid Rumble" baffles. I bought the American Custom slip ons because they look completely stock and, are supposed to improve performance with a better sound. They look good...

The quality is just satisfactory. One of the Slip Ons had minor spider web scratches on it, I put it on the bottom, with the heat shield on it you can't tell. The mounting holes for the baffles were cut with a torch and some slag was left around the holes. Easy enough to clean up, so I did. Both are very minor issues so I decided to just live with it.

Installation was easy.

I'm not thrilled with the sound/tone. Without the baffles it's to loud for me. On the highway the droning would drive me nuts (nuttier?). The Mid Rumble baffles do reduce the volume but have a Raspy, Ratty tone to them. I've puttered around a little with the baffles. Each change seems to improve the quality of the sound but I haven't reached the deep baritone "Burble" I'm looking for. One day I may order another set of baffles and start over.

Performance? I don't know. I do believe these pipes are freer flowing than the the factory cat-cans, I'm to lazy to swap back and forth and run seat of the pants tests. I do remember reading, "Louder is not Faster".

When I hear a set of pipes that sound good (to my ear) they are usually from Vance and Hines. I wish V&H made a set that looked like factory.

You and I have very different bikes, I know. Just letting you know my point of view. I hope this has been helpful.

3. olddude

olddude Member

I got a set for my 04 Ultra Classic, I got the mid range Bafflle, I am very happy with them, I got the slightly blemished, I can't find the blemish. again I am happy with the sound and the looks.:D
  4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Never bought b/c I'm a TD man, but sold my stock pipes to them for $75 ( Have heard good things about them from other posts/riders tho...