free website stats program Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles? | Page 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles?

They look like Vance and Hines Pipes
17205_1-800x640.jpg

I like the sound of the V & H Short Shots with the quiet baffle in. The photo's an 04?

AM sales in Toronto has the same bike, year, and color for $7,500. I don't like the aftermarket switches.
You can find the ad under Kijiji Toronto.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion there has been discussions both positive and negative with the choices of bike to fill your need. As the questions continue to grow which seems that there is reservation with each one discussed than maybe referring back to your Fathers advice and waiting till October to buy maybe the best decision. Though sometimes when flooded with to much information it can be hard to actually make a decision. The agreed consensus of thread, is to be aware for some of the older bikes and the money being asked for them you will be on the loosing end if purchased. Any used bike you purchase will not ever be a 10 out 10. But a 8 out 10 like the bike in post 65 might be the one to go with........

I agree, there will certainly be dozens of those models available at a reduced price later in the season. Take your time and good luck, a solution will present itself, it always does.

In my opinion there has been discussions both positive and negative with the choices of bike to fill your need. As the questions continue to grow which seems that there is reservation with each one discussed than maybe referring back to your Fathers advice and waiting till October to buy maybe the best decision. Though sometimes when flooded with to much information it can be hard to actually make a decision. The agreed consensus of thread, is to be aware for some of the older bikes and the money being asked for them you will be on the loosing end if purchased. Any used bike you purchase will not ever be a 10 out 10. But a 8 out 10 like the bike in post 65 might be the one to go with........

"But a 8 out 10 like the bike in post 65 might be the one to go with..."

Yes, the Dyna Super Glide I mentioned in post 65 is the type of Harley I want. I have enough $ saved for that and even a newer one. And it's at a Harley dealer. I got an email from the salesman today, and he said that
the cam tensioner shoes were inspected on that bike 3,000 miles ago and they are less than half worn so no problem there. And he said that all are pre-owned bikes come with our Clares in house pre-owned warranty.
He went on to say that the bike came in on trade from a good customer and is in amazing condition except
some chrome flaking on the front rim.

But the cam tensioner issue hasn't been fixed.

Please be careful, I have heard many horror stories of those breaking apart and jamming up the oil flow. I honestly believe that in the beginning, that Harley under estimated the potential hazard those spring loaded tensioner's could cause. My question to the salesman would be... Then why weren't they changed then, and can you change them before I take ownership of that bike?

Please be careful, I have heard many horror stories of those breaking apart and jamming up the oil flow. I honestly believe that in the beginning, that Harley under estimated the potential hazard those spring loaded tensioner's could cause. My question to the salesman would be... Then why weren't they changed then, and can you change them before I take ownership of that bike?
Thanks for the warning. I've also been keeping my eye on that 2008 Dyna Low Rider I mentioned before. It's white pearl with 7,000 kilometers, showroom. They're asking $13,999 Canadian, and it's a lot over book value,
but isn't that an anniversary edition? Also it has the solid rims which I want. Those two things add value?

Thanks for the warning. I've also been keeping my eye on that 2008 Dyna Low Rider I mentioned before. It's white pearl with 7,000 kilometers, showroom. They're asking $13,999 Canadian, and it's a lot over book value,
but isn't that an anniversary edition? Also it has the solid rims which I want. Those two things add value?
Anniversary models do not command more value except to a few who may be collecting

Anniversary models do not command more value except to a few who may be collecting
Do the solid rims add value to that bike? I don't know if the solid rims were an option for that bike and year?
If I wait until October, what would be a good offer? (If it's still there?) I have a bike to trade in too. I haven't any luck selling it yet. Thanks.

harley1.jpg
Here is a stock bike from the factory, the bike you are looking at may have had the rear wheel upgraded, I doubt this would add value

harley1.jpg
Here is a stock bike from the factory, the bike you are looking at may have had the rear wheel upgraded, I doubt this would add value
The Low Rider I mentioned has the same rims I believe but doesn't have the front engine guard and sissy bar. Essentially it's bone stock.

Back