free website stats program Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles? | Page 7 | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles?

They were 99-05 dynas. 06 and up dynas have the new set up. Good news is that if you buy a low mileage dyna from those years, you'll be paying for the new style eventually. I was lucky, my dealer offered a discount during the winter months. It still cost 900 dollars. That included new inner bearings and new rocker box gaskets, which were leaking anyway. She's all good now. Just gas and go.
I'm glad to hear your issues were sorted. What do you think annual maintenance costs would be for a late model Dyna? I read that the 103 engine is a low maintenance engine. I only ride about 3,000 miles a year. Thanks.

Well, now that depends on how it was maintained by the previous owner, do they have service records/receipts for preventative maintenance being performed? At 3,000 miles a year you should expect to only have to change the fluids. A quick check online of that year dyna's owners manual will recommend what service intervals are necessary. I've been changing engine oil every 3,000 miles, regardless of my annual mileage, it's cheap insurance. The primary and the transmission is once a year prior to winter.

102749d1268675761-2009-touring-maintenance-schedule-untitled.jpg

Sorry for the delay WildWill, I bought a 2004 dyna fuel injected with 17k miles. Then after inspecting the tensioner's at 20k, I replaced them with the new style setup. Since then just routine maintenance items.
There's a nice 2004 Dyna Super Glide at Clare's Harley at Niagara Falls. It's kind of silvery blue looking by the photos. I like the rims as well as the color. They're asking $1,900 over book value. 53,000 kilometers. These are the type of Harleys I like more.

I would bet that the bike has been gone over and serviced. Nice looking bike. The $1,900. over book, are you referring to private owner or suggested retail. Remember that is only a guide. This bike though, when guy traded in meant nothing, but does have some nice upgrades especially the exhaust. So based on way this thread is going this bike could be the home run or at least a 8 out of 10....
http://www.claresharleydavidson.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=8725&pov=4700320
So try to sell your sport bike locally and that should offset the over book concern of Harley dealers price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would bet that the bike has been gone over and serviced. Nice looking bike. The $1,900. over book, are you referring to private owner or suggested retail. Remember that is only a guide. This bike though, when guy traded in meant nothing, but does have some nice upgrades especially the exhaust. So based on way this thread is going this bike could be the home run or at least a 8 out of 10....
http://www.claresharleydavidson.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=8725&pov=4700320
That price was wrong I stated. The Kelly's 2004 FXDI suggested retail should be $6,375 US which is $8,297 Canadian. Member, jdezorzi, has similar bike and had cam tensioner upgrade. Do you the dealer would do
that cam tensioner upgrade as part of the deal? What did you like about the bike?

That dyna looks great. I hope you can negotiate the cam tensioner's in the deal. We have dealerships here in Pittsburgh Pa. Asking 8000.00 for a 2004 dyna with less accessories on them.

That dyna looks great. I hope you can negotiate the cam tensioner's in the deal. We have dealerships here in Pittsburgh Pa. Asking 8000.00 for a 2004 dyna with less accessories on them.
Another yinzer from the Burgh. I like it.....;)

They're asking $9,500. What would be a good offer? What kind of pipes are they? Thanks.

Back