free website stats program Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles?

IMO 97 and 98 were good years for EVO engines, My 97 FLHT went 58,000 miles with NO problems other than 1 starter I say go for it;)

I went and looked at the '98 Dyna Convertible this morning. It took me 2 hours to get there. The salesman drove the bike up. The first thing I noticed was the buttons for the signals, horn, starter switch, high beam/low beam were worn so much you couldn't read any printing on the buttons. Seemed odd. The bike had been down because one of the mufflers was scraped pretty good. The plastic covering over the gas guage was in bad condition, very worn. I asked for maintenance records. The salesman came back a couple of minutes later and said that he didn't have any, but he was honest enough to tell me that the bike had been in an accident with the front end of the bike with medium to severe damage, but had been repaired. Then the salesman said that I could have it for $7,000 Canadian. Original price was $9,999. I asked him if they could put on factory pipes with Screaming Eagle slip ons. He said that would cost about $1,500. I asked him what he would give me for my bike, my 2007 Kawasaki 650R, and he offered me $2,200 which was a bit low. He said the Harley hadn't been serviced yet. He let me drive it around the parking lot. Took forever to warm up, just like my '98. Bike tracked okay. Why would I want to buy it? I'd never be able to sell it.

Suggested
List Price
Suggested List — The manufacturer’s (distributors) highest suggested list price in the U.S.A. when the unit was new. Unless indicated, the suggested list price does not include destination charges, dealer set-up, state or local taxes, license tags or insurance.">
Low
Retail
Average Retail Value — An average retail unit should be clean without obvious defects. All rubber and cables should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. All lights and switches should work properly. The mileage should be within or slightly higher than the average range. This unit should also pass any emission inspection.">Average
Retail
Base Price $14,625 $2,995 $3,940
Options: (change) This is US dollars, the first number is NEW, second low resale 3 high resale ALL base price with NO extras

I wouldn't offer more than $7,900. I've seen private deals $5500-$6,000 for the same bike. But I
have a bike to trade in. I thought the '98 would be reconditioned properly there at the dealer.

Good chance deal won't have any warranty on the bike. Seems like a high price, I would keep looking. EVO is a great motor

Ok I missed a few pages before I commented. But still say the same in the end. Keep looking !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good chance deal won't have any warranty on the bike. Seems like a high price, I would keep looking. EVO is a great motor
The salesman did offer me 30 days on the phone a few days ago. Like I said it was odd the switches? Could the odometer have gone around? Like I said, if I bought it how would I ever sell it?

Here is another idea. With things being so outrageous Canadian money I remember when I worked In Erie Pa I had a few Canadians that would come to my tire store buy tires asked if I could make new tires look dirty and drive home to beat the system. Would there be a benefit to purchase a bike in America and bring it home??? Again you have answered your own question, "Like I said, if I bought it how would I ever sell it?"
With this one you would be acquiring a lifetime of headaches. With the poor selection of bikes that you are trying to fill a niche with your Father sound advice plays well here.....

Here is another idea. With things being so outrageous Canadian money I remember when I worked In Erie Pa I had a few Canadians that would come to my tire store buy tires asked if I could make new tires look dirty and drive home to beat the system. Would there be a benefit to purchase a bike in America and bring it home??? Again you have answered your own question, "Like I said, if I bought it how would I ever sell it?"
With this one you would be acquiring a lifetime of headaches. With the poor selection of bikes that you are trying to fill a niche with your Father sound advice plays well here.....

It's funny you mentioned, "Would there be a benefit to purchase a bike in America and bring it home." I don't think I'll ever buy another American bike. I bought my Kawasaki at Cycle World from the Mississauga branch when it did exist before it became "Bartz Bikes". It's probably been the best bike bike I've ever had. I've had it for years and have never had a problem with it. Cycle World buys a lot of bikes from the USA. However every time I try to trade in my Kawasaki the salesman frowns and says, "I don't know if I could sell it being from the States." And then there's the problem with the speedometer. I had to sign something at a Harley dealer about the speedometer error on my '98 Dyna being it's American so the dealer wouldn't be responsible if there was an accident due to speedometer error. And even private people who have come to look at the Kawasaki frown when they find out it's from the States.

A guy I met at Jacox a few weeks ago said it's best to buy a used Harley from a Harley dealer even
though you pay more. What do you say? Thanks.

As we say with the buckets you have to choose from at non HD dealers and the ridiculous inflated prices, your safest bet may just be a HD dealer. Because there is nothing worse than buying your dream bike only to have a bucket or pile of junk and you are soured for good. So make your first Harley purchase the best one that you can so you can concentrate your focus on riding and enjoying the character and charm of a Harley and not constantly wrenching and wishing you had purchased a Metric cruiser.

Back