free website stats program Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I wrong wanting to buy a 1998 Dyna Convertible with 37,000 miles?

Now you have to check out bike, see service records for reconditioning and if bike is a possibility, offer $7,900 minus what you would get for your trade and go from there......

Now you have to check out bike, see service records for reconditioning and if bike is a possibility, offer $7,900 minus what you would get for your trade and go from there......

Thanks for your input. It's about a 95 mile journey to this "Classy Chassis & Cycle". I'm going to phone the
salesman in the morning. If he's sketchy about service records I'm not going to go. Should I ask about
matching frame and engine serial numbers? Thanks.

I would not ask that at first. Ask questions of how many owners, if bike is reconditioned why do saddle bags look so weathered. Have you serviced and safety inspected. Is chrome pitted and rusted. They are probably not going to give you a number on trade, but if conversation is good and they agree to start negotiations from $7,900 minus trade it maybe worth you time to travel 200 miles round trip but you need to be quite comfortable, for if you purchase you are probably not going back unless you have big trouble with bike. Let you conscience be your guide..... :confused:

I would not ask that at first. Ask questions of how many owners, if bike is reconditioned why do saddle bags look so weathered. Have you serviced and safety inspected. Is chrome pitted and rusted. They are probably not going to give you a number on trade, but if conversation is good and they agree to start negotiations from $7,900 minus trade it maybe worth you time to travel 200 miles round trip but you need to be quite comfortable, for if you purchase you are probably not going back unless you have big trouble with bike. Let you conscience be your guide..... :confused:

Okay, thanks, I will draw up a list of the questions. Do you think they might do the 40,000 mile service?
Also I haven't discussed warranty. It's usually 30 days here in Ontario. Not sure what they might offer?
"Robinsons" another Harley seller offers 50/50 warranties, so they pay half, not sure of duration. Thanks.

Heres NADA Value keeping in mind that they already dropped price $1,000 and give you the option of asking for a internet price which is probably less yet. So with the original asking price of $9,995 and bike not being in pristine condition and with 37,000 miles I think that you answered your own question.

New
Low Retail
High Retail
Base Price $14,625 $2,995 $3,940
Options: (change)
TOTAL PRICE: $14,625 $2,995 $3,940

Dealer link:
http://www.usedhd.ca/1998-harley-davidson-fxds-inventory.htm?id=1221620&in-stock=1
I phoned the salesman this morning. Very nice gentleman. He said that he won't give a warranty on that
'98 FXDS. Then when I told him I'm not interested he said that he'd give me 30 days. If there's little to
no warranty at that price I should buy privately or wait for another? Where besides Ebay could I get
reasonable priced parts for that bike? Thanks.

The salesman has answered your question if purchase is correct for you. As you have stated that local from a private seller you could purchase same bike for $5500 - $6000. So now you can slow your roll, take your time and find the right bike for you of this type. And if needed put some cash into repairs or maintenance and be happy with your purchase. Do you have something like Craigslist or a motorcycle trader that you can surf the web and help with your search?
Example:
http://buyselltrade.ca/motorcycles-snowmobiles/9

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 17214 View attachment 17215
The salesman has answered your question if purchase is correct for you. As you have stated that local from a private seller you could purchase same bike for $5500 - $6000. So now you can slow your roll, take your time and find the right bike for you of this type. And if needed put some cash into repairs or maintenance
and be happy with your purchase. Do you have something like Craigslist or a motorcycle trader that you can surf the web and help with your search?
Example:
http://buyselltrade.ca/motorcycles-snowmobiles/9
Thank you so much for your help. What do you think of the other option I mentioned of buying a newer Harley? I have over $ 13,000 saved. My insurance costs are not much different with a newer Harley.

Well its all in what you want. Are you thinking of long hauls or short puts. With the cash you are getting close to 2008 and newer King or Electra Glide. As the saying goes "Someday you will own a bagger"
You might want to visit a couple bike nights and local Harley dealer so that you see many different Harleys all in one place... Like I said before slow your roll and take the time needed unless your thought process is to change bikes in a short period of time...........

Well its all in what you want. Are you thinking of long hauls or short puts. With the cash you are getting close to 2008 and newer King or Electra Glide. As the saying goes "Someday you will own a bagger"
You might want to visit a couple bike nights and local Harley dealer so that you see many different Harleys all in one place... Like I said before slow your roll and take the time needed unless your thought process is to change bikes in a short period of time...........
I haven't been able to travel in quite a while. I like the Dynas with Screaming Eagle slip ons, especially the sound on the freeway. I mentioned in my opening thread a white 2008 Dyna Lower Rider which is at Pooles
Harley Davidson in Hamilton Ontario. They're asking quite a lot more than book value though. There is only one more bike I have my eye on which is a 2010 Dyna Wide Glide with the flamed tank with Short Shots, showroom, very low miles, the price is quite reasonable. The bike is at Motor City Custom in Oshawa Ontario.
My dad says just wait until the fall. I could wait, no problem, as I have a bike now. Here's some photos of my bike.

Attachments

• 100_0799.JPG
    100_0799.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_0808.JPG
    100_0808.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 11
Your Dad is giving you some good advice because between now and Fall you are going to come across a lot of options to fill your need. And the best part you may not need to trade sport bike in and have 2 bikes....:confused:

Back