free website stats program Am i to short to ride. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Am i to short to ride.

I'm 5'3" and used to ride a 1988 Electra-glide Classic, now it's trikes.
I cannot see why the 883 wouldn't work, but to make it work you may want to change the seat, add thick sole boots and then shorter shocks. I did wear a thick sole boot on the Dresser, seat was ok and I ran no air in the air shocks. I did hear a lot of, "Hey Lady! Isn't that bike too big for you?". :rofl

Don't limit yourself to a sportster unless you just have to have one. Although it's a smaller bike, the sportster has a high center of gravity and you may find controlling it somewhat difficult, especially if you are new to riding.

Go to the dealer and get on different models, you will find one that fits you right, then you will be riding! Enjoy!:D

Its a matter of balance and skill. You don't have to have both feet planted firmly at all times to be able to ride. Get someone to loan you a small dirtbike like a tw250 or at least a scooter. Practice riding VERY VERY SLOWLY. Dodging things and hitting bumps. Make a game out of not putting a foot down. Master your balance and you can ride any bike.

It's not your height but, your inseam and reach.

Both of these can be accommodated.

The Iron isn't bad. There are other models that offer lower seat heights but maybe heavier. Like the FB lo or Delux. Of course, there is the Sportster Super lo.

In any event, you can also look at suspension, seat and handlebar options to make the machine fit you.

Plenty of vertically challenged ride everything from touring machines to the sporties.

Only issue I have now is when my wife is on the back and I'm slowed to the point of putting my feet out and she decides that's the right time point at something to the side, stick her head over my shoulder to say something or completely shift her weight in some manner to make me struggle to keep the bike up.

You need to talk to that woman.....

Back