free website stats program Am I in over my head? (pun intended) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I in over my head? (pun intended)

So I read the inspection law in the above post but I also found on the AMAs website tat there are no restrictions to height. Pennsylvania state motorcycle laws
WAP.gif

No offense but I think you made up your mind when you picked them up..:)..I think you should just put them on....You may love them...I also think they look cool myself..I have never even sat on a bike with 20,s....Will you be installing a tall riser?

No just one inch risers. Yeah I think your right that I made up my mind but I figured I could use the advice of people more experienced than my self.
WAP.gif

I personally don't think it's more difficult to ride and definitely worth it. I rode a bike with 18's and felt I could handle 2 more inches. You will get used to it and never go back. Just my 2 cents. Do it.

I had people tell me the same thing when I put myapes on that had never riden with apes. When i got them on I LOVED THEM! i have 5" risers and 15" apes. After I put mine on I let one of the guys that told me how much i would hate them ride my bike and guess what happen. You got it, he has apes on his bike now. Funny how that happens!

I would more rely on the Pa motor vehicle code which I posted vs AMA.
I am surprised with all the vehicle coding on the AMA site that there is no vehicle code reference to handle bars.:)
Any ways another thought on Apes. Likening it to pushing a wheel barrow.
The higher you raise the wheel barrow handles, the less leverage and control that you have. So my thought is the higher your hands are on the bars there is a relationship of leverage lost. Yes you maybe be able to get adjusted to in, but what happens if a sudden lane change or heaving on the bars to get out of trouble, what ever that maybe even if its a passenger getting on your bike. What leverage are you going to have trying to guide a 700+ lb motorcycle back to a stable position with your hands at or above your shoulders..
Have you tryed adjusting the bars already installed on bike???
Again its your ride you decide...:s

Last edited by a moderator:
I think trying them out, like a few posts have mentioned, is the best bet. As for the back pain, I put a backrest on my '99 Ultra and it had me sitting straight as an arrow in the saddle. If the bars don't work out, you might think about that route....

I've never had apes but have changed the bars on every bike I've ever owned. It's up to you and what you like, not what your friends like...I've done drag bars, buckhorns, and big old fashioned types, for me it's about what looks good on the bike and how I want to sit when I ride. I say go for it but definitely keep the old ones just in case you ever want to switch back.

ok I took the plunge. I like the look so far but tomorrow is riding day so I'll have a better idea of what I got my self into.
417095_326715427375317_100001105862120_913852_152613710_n.jpg
429028_326715330708660_100001105862120_913850_725702749_n.jpg

Wow! Looks like you got the short apes...........:D Just kidding. Looks great, let us know how you like them.

Back