free website stats program Am I a wimp??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Am I a wimp???

BigMike57

I decided to replace (upgrade?) my compensator sprocket on my '08 Ultra. I bought the SE compensator kit and with much help from this website, installed it. When I went to put the driveline on, the clutch basket would'nt go on. Upon investigation I found the clutch hub splines were stripped out. So I upgraded again to the SE race clutch hub. Everything went well until it came time to adjust the new style springs. I adjusted according to the directions to the stock settings, I got the torque settings from my owners manual, 92.6 ft-lbs. My bike is stock with 65K miles on it. According to the chart that came with the clutch hub, 94 ft-lbs should be 8.25 turns out from bottom. I am 6' 1" 320# and I could not pull that clutch lever in easily. I backed out another full turn and then measured to make sure all the springs were adjusted the same.
The clutch lever is still a hard pull, but managable. Am I doing something wrong ? Has anyone else installed this clutch hub ? Am I setting this to the wrong torque setting ?

The Screaming Eagle clutches do pull harder which is why I surmise you are making the whimp comment. I've never pulled one so I don't know exactly how hard (or harder) they are. But I would think unless you have arthritis in your hand that either your clutch is not quite right OR you will get used to it after awhile one or the other.

Does yours have a hydraulic clutch ? If so does it have a slave cylinder down lower ? If it does you might want to check that out. I'm not familar with hydraulic clutches myself.

If it's not hydraulic you might try putting some lube on the cable.

Also could you post up the PDF your getting that torque setting from. I'd like to read that.

Last time I read up on it the Harley ez pull kit is not compatible with screaming eagle performance parts. But the below "might" be, you could investigate it.

This is bout $125 depending,
Shop - WW Cycles

EZ-PULL CLUTCH ASSIST | AMP Research®

This costs bout $250 bucks but if push comes to shove you might want to check it out. It's an add on kit to give you more leverage at the clutch plates.
http://www.aim-tamachi.com/pdfs/T-VP-002.pdf

AIM CorpVP Clutch (70T, 84T, 92T)

Hey, thanks for the response. Rubyred sent the PDF link and I got my torque settings from my owners manual. I have the slideshow from American Baggers, on slide 42 it references "the chart". On the chart for 94 ft-lbs turn out 8.25 from bottomed.
I'm impressed with the design and fit of this kit. I already have the SE compensator and it appears much 'beefier' than the stock setup. After reading a few more posts on this forum, I think I may have to adjust the cable again.
I'm noticing alot of movement on the pressure plate when I pull in the lever.
(the outer cover is still off) How much movement should there be?
Also do you think I could back off more on the springs and still hookup OK.
There is about 5 threads of studs still showing.

That "NEW" SE unit looks just like the old Shovelhead clutch unit set-up.

As the instruction sheet says you can ease the pressure required to pull the clutch lever by backing off the tension nuts, The old one had bumps on the plate and notches in the nuts so you could back them out at half turn intervals. It appears the "NEW" SE has only self locking type nuts so you might take that into consideration when backing off the tension. Messing with the actual lever pull adjustment will have little or no effect on the amount of strength need to pull it in.

The more things change the more they remain the same!!!!!!

Good luck.

P.S. After running this new set up a while you will be able to crush a steel can with your left hand.

Yeah I'm looking forward to 'Popeye' arms :D . Do you have this setup? I don't ride very hard, usually solo and like an old guy. I remember the old shovelhead setup, but I never messed with it. I even considered taking off 3 of the springs and trying that. I could always put them back on if it didn't work.

Back