free website stats program Alycat | Harley Davidson Forums

Alycat

Alycat

Does anyone know what the stock slow jet is on an 02 FXDL. I recently purchased the bike used and was told that the carb had been rejetted by the dealer when new so, I called them to find out what was done. When asked if they installed a jet kit, the tech told me no, they did their own thing and wouldn't say anymore. I decided to put a DynoJet kit in when I replaced the manifold gaskets but, it still pops through the carb. The bike is stock with an SE breather kit and SE tapered slip-ons for mods. I'm wondering if the slow jet was replaced at the dealer when they 'did their own thing'. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks bud, Anyone know for sure? The one that's in mine now is a 48.

A #48 is a bit large and will probably be a bit rich on the bottom end. Generally they came with a #42 from the factory in a lot of them but that varies on some models.Look in the factory manual if you have one in the carb section and it lists the stock jet size on the first page of the section.
If you aren't open on the idle mixture screw about 2 1/2 turns this is confirmation it is too large. The larger jet(48) would require less fuel when adjusting the idle mixture screw. Proper jetting would be in the #46 range with the screw open about 2 1/2 turns and adjusted from there as needed.
You will get a crisper running engine with a #46 and raising up the needle with 2 number 4 washers under it.

Hobbit, can these be drilled like S&S jets?

Best off getting the right jet by #size. They can be drilled but inaccuracies will happen as well as a bore that is not too smooth.

Hobbit, I looked in my factory service and parts manuals for '02 Dyna but jet size is not stated for either one. They're only identified as 'main jet' and 'slow jet'. I installed the DynoJet kit as instructed for stock motor with aftermarket a/c and exhaust, a #180 main jet, e-clip on 4th groove from top of needle with 3 washers on top and 3.5 turns out on the A/F screw. I was told not to change the slow jet, keep it stock. I later thought that it may not be stock, that it might've been changed at the dealer. So, I checked and found it to be a #48. That's where it's at right now... Ok, I'll try a #46 and see how it works. Thanks for the help Hobbit. I appreciate it.

Ok i will not ponder this to long I AM NOT A FAN OF THESE KITS. - over priced for what they are.
If you have a 48 its way to big get a 45/46 put in there.
One major thing did you drill the carb slide as per DYNO jet?????
If you have i would suggest buying a new slide and DO NOT drill the slide the bike will run better without the air hole in the slide being increased.

yep, sure did....ok, will do, thanks again Hobbit.

Hobbit, One more question: When tuned properly, Can it ever get to a point where it never pops or should I expect an occosional pop once in a while?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok i will not ponder this to long I AM NOT A FAN OF THESE KITS. - over priced for what they are.
If you have a 48 its way to big get a 45/46 put in there.
One major thing did you drill the carb slide as per DYNO jet?????
If you have i would suggest buying a new slide and DO NOT drill the slide the bike will run better without the air hole in the slide being increased.

I agree with hobbit also, never drill that slide, I just jetted a bike similar to yours this weekend, used a 46 slow with a 180 main, and I drop the clips until the bike stumbles in the transition and then raise it back one to clear it up. Also, if you have the bike fat enough, it should never pop, they may cough when the bike is cold, but if its popping when warm, the bike is lean.

Ok, sounds good. Thanks Gary

That seems a little fat, are you at sea level or a higher elevation, try a 46 then smaller if it still pops...

Sea level...Boston

A #48 is a bit large and will probably be a bit rich on the bottom end. Generally they came with a #42 from the factory in a lot of them but that varies on some models.Look in the factory manual if you have one in the carb section and it lists the stock jet size on the first page of the section.
If you aren't open on the idle mixture screw about 2 1/2 turns this is confirmation it is too large. The larger jet(48) would require less fuel when adjusting the idle mixture screw. Proper jetting would be in the #46 range with the screw open about 2 1/2 turns and adjusted from there as needed.
You will get a crisper running engine with a #46 and raising up the needle with 2 number 4 washers under it.

Best off getting the right jet by #size. They can be drilled but inaccuracies will happen as well as a bore that is not too smooth.

Thanks for the info Glider...answered this earlier as Hobbit, sorry...gettin old, just call me Al Simers.....Thanks again everyone !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back