free website stats program aluminum wheel cleaning problems | Harley Davidson Forums

aluminum wheel cleaning problems

HOLY DIVER

i have a stock rear wheel for my deuce i was planning on cleaning it up and having it installed this coming week.......i can not get this thing clean first tried sopy scotch brite no luck now I'm using steal wool which is not working either i might add. my arm feels like jello i'm going to rest and see what you guys have to say before i start back working lol:56:

This is the solid wheel with a rougher gray center, and shiny rim right? What is not cleaning up, is there dark or light spots/stains on some areas? I have an array of aluminum polishes that work well. In descending order of quality, Mothers mag & alum. polish, White Diamond alum. polish, Busch's alum. polish, and Never Dull wadding.

This is the solid wheel with a rougher gray center, and shiny rim right? What is not cleaning up, is there dark or light spots/stains on some areas? I have an array of aluminum polishes that work well. In descending order of quality, Mothers mag & alum. polish, White Diamond alum. polish, Busch's alum. polish, and Never Dull wadding.

yes solid wheel,yes light/dark spots,say mothers mag and wheel polish works well?

I've found that Mothers works the best for polising wheels especially with their powerball on a cordless drill. Makes easy work of my billet wheels and fork sliders. I tried the Bar Keepers Friend as suggested on this site and although it did a real good job of removing stubborn stains and spots, it left my wheels nice and clean but dull. I went back over it with Mothers and they almost look chrome when done. A lot of work by hand so if it's in your budget, i'd suggest investing in the Powerball, it's well worth it.
WAP.gif

I've found that Mothers works the best for polising wheels especially with their powerball on a cordless drill. Makes easy work of my billet wheels and fork sliders. I tried the Bar Keepers Friend as suggested on this site and although it did a real good job of removing stubborn stains and spots, it left my wheels nice and clean but dull. I went back over it with Mothers and they almost look chrome when done. A lot of work by hand so if it's in your budget, i'd suggest investing in the Powerball, it's well worth it.
WAP.gif

How does the Powerball hold up. My wheels have a bunch of sharp edges. I'm curious if they will shred the ball.

Thanks,
Dave

It holds up well from what I've seen so far. I've had mine for about a year and my wheels have some pointed edges near the tips of the Maltese Crosses on my E-Glide. It's a foam ball and although i'm not sure what wheels you have on yours, if it's really sharp, like enough to cut you sharp, then it may be a problem. Otherwise I would do the bulk of the wheel and avoid anything that would shred the ball apart and hit those areas by hand........ carefully ;-)
WAP.gif

It holds up well from what I've seen so far. I've had mine for about a year and my wheels have some pointed edges near the tips of the Maltese Crosses on my E-Glide. It's a foam ball and although i'm not sure what wheels you have on yours, if it's really sharp, like enough to cut you sharp, then it may be a problem. Otherwise I would do the bulk of the wheel and avoid anything that would shred the ball apart and hit those areas by hand........ carefully ;-)
WAP.gif

The wheels are the stock 28? spoke mag wheels that come on the Ultra.
I've never cleaned my wheels so you know they're bad....

Take care,
Dave

Just keep the balls rotation in line with the spokes and you will be fine. I don't think it would hurt it going sideways against them but it would act as a scraper and remove the Mothers from the sponge creating a chore to get all the paste out of in between the spokes :p

Back