free website stats program alternator or regulator? | Harley Davidson Forums

alternator or regulator?

piratesson

I have a 89 sporty and my battery is only showing 11 volts when running after I bought a new battery... It's not charging. It has to be either the alternator or regulator, but is there anyway to tell without having to tear the bike apart and looking at the alternator? or should i just buy the cheaper of the two and hope it's it?

By the way, I Checked all the connections already and they are all good

As i remember the charging system on this age of sportster has the rotor built into the clutch basket and the stator behind that having previously had a charging issue on an 87 sportster i went for the simple option to start with and replaced the regulator sorted owner was happy as bill for parts was under £ 100 rather than a possible of around £700 for the replacement clutch basket and stator

Brian

As i remember the charging system on this age of sportster has the rotor built into the clutch basket and the stator behind that having previously had a charging issue on an 87 sportster i went for the simple option to start with and replaced the regulator sorted owner was happy as bill for parts was under £ 100 rather than a possible of around £700 for the replacement clutch basket and stator

Brian

Im with Brian on this one, most times when voltage is that low it is a bad regulator and it is the lesser of the two evils so to speak

Sadly, if the regulator fixes it...that means the stator was stressed, and the battery if allowed to fully discharge will lose some of it's reserve too. So keep an eye on that charging voltage and when you use a battery tender...see how long it takes to go from yellow/red flashing to green. If your battery and charging system is reasonably up to to snuff it will usually go to green in about 15 minutes.:s

Thanks so much! I went ahead and bought the regulator because my distrubutor went out like a month ago as well so I thought maybe the probelms were connected... I'm going to check the plug coming fromt he alternator to see if its doing anything now.

Thanks again!!!

Back