free website stats program Alternative Seating for Iron883 | Harley Davidson Forums

Alternative Seating for Iron883

ssharda

Hey y'all

I'm a 24 yr old male.
I am about to buy my first HD. I've pretty much made up my mind on the Iron 883 Sportster. I took a test ride recently and also a test ride of the 883 Superlow. I found superlow's seat much more comfortable than the Iron 883.
I do however feel the Iron looks much better than the superlow so I am going to stick to that. But is it possible to get the Superlow seat on an Iron? Would that make a difference or is it merely a difference of suspension if any?

Any insight would be helpful.

I know on mine, you can adjust the rear suspension using a tool that the dealer sells.

I'm a short guy, only 5'4", and I lowered the front 2" and been quite pleased with it.

Glad you are interested in a Harley... I know most guys 24 y/o would rather be doing 160 on a rocket.

Thank you for the input 03HD883R. I have never been a crotch rocket fan. Following my dad's footsteps with a HD.
I will look into adjusting the suspension but is it at all possible to replace the Iron 883's seat with that of the Superlow? I am eager to know so I can negotiate the dealer for a bunch of free things when I do get the bike (the seat being one of them)

That's a hard one. The only way is to try it out. I know on mine, the seat is simple to remove (surprise there are not more thefts).

Congratulations on getting a Harley!

I found out I needed a new seat on my Fat Bob the first time I went on the Freeway. The wind pushed me away from the pedals. So I got out my measuring tape and discovered the seat was 26 inches above the ground, but 29 inches away from the pedals. I have a 30 inch inseam. When pushed all the way back, I could touch the brakes but I wanted to slam down if I had to. I live about 15 minutes from Saddlemen Motorcycle Seats Components so I bought the "Heels down" seat that was lower and more forward. I just didn't feel safe with the stock seat, and lowering the suspension would not work.

Try to negotiate for the best seat for you with the dealer. Some dealers will work with you on this and others may not cooperate unless you pay more. I would shop around and see what dealers in your area will do. You might start out, "I'm not riding it home with the stock seat."

The HD website has a section on this, check out-- Find the Right Fit | H-D1 Customize Your Motorcycle | Harley-Davidson USA

:44:

Last edited:
Saddlemen makes some really good seats. A riding buddy put one on his UC, and he's been happy with it. Makes me want to get one.

Maybe this winter, I will get one for mine. I've been riding with the stock seat since I've owned it. Not much to brag about.

But, yeah, those custom seats can help out a lot, especially if you don't want to mess with the suspension portion. Plus it's easier in most cases.

I don't know what years fit what years on a sporty but my brother has a Mustang and a sundowner for sale cheap off his older sporty.

My wife has a Mustang seat with back rest on her 2011 XL883L Sportster. She loves it! You can try them out at Bike rallies. A lot of seats out there!

There are many options for XL seating: Although it is bulky, I ran a Sundowner on mine, but had to replace it with a Sidekick, the most uncomfortable seat I ever rested my gleuts on. The pillion on the Sidekick is so small, instead of saying, "I'm on", my GF would say "It's in"...

I haven't looked... but I'm wondering what options there would be for a better seating for the passenger on a Sporty. I normally don't haul another person around, but in that event I need to, it would be nice to find something comfortable.

Then again, that's what my Ultra is for.

Back