free website stats program almost met the pavement | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

almost met the pavement

Glad you were able to keep her sunny side up and the rubber on the road!

Way to go in a quick decision , some times you got to be super man to keep from dropping the bike, glad u r OK and the bike is too:s

Same here, glad you kept it upright.

Sounds like you did a good job swerving.

That's why I wear steel toed lace up boots.

I have done something similar twice on both feet. Both times on curves. Messed up the toes on my boots and the last one was a doosie, I was a foot off the pavement on the dirt shoulder. I used my foot by instinct. Not sure it was the best thing to do but when you are into it you don't have a lot of time to plan your moves. It did tweak my ankle a bit but like you, but I kept the bike upright. I have slowed down a bit and am practicing my lines on curves. I was too far off the centerline when I was making a sweeping left turn and I needed extra space to keep from sliding out. I was following a buddy of mine and he's been riding for many many years. The first time there was a bunch of sand and water on the pavement from a recent rain. My foot acted as more of an outrigger.

Some guys say using a foot is a good thing, while others say it is not. I guess it all depends on the situation.

I think a helmet is a good idea (we are required to wear one here), and I always wear kevlar lined jeans, gloves, and a long sleeved shirt if it's real hot, otherwise I always wear my padded jacket. You never know what's ahead, so remember what they said in Boy Scouts, Be Prepared! and practice, practice, practice.

When I find myself drifting off to other thoughts I make myself think about riding the bike. You can't really think about other stuff while riding like you can driving your cage.

There's nothing better than riding a bike but like they say, it's a full time job watching the road and anticipating what others might do in front of you.

I am glad you and your bike made it unscathed too...

BUT I would never advise anyone to use their feet to keep a bike up, especially the heavier touring bikes. I was lucky when I did it once early on, but that came with a big mental note - never again.

Glad to read you pulled out of it. Nothing like that feeling of relief, to be right side up after something like that.

Don't get me wrong: I am personally 100% against helmet laws, but I always wear a helmet (and leathers). It's a personal choice that we all accept, just like riding....

I am all gear, all the time too. :bigsmiley12:

Back