free website stats program All Harley or not? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

All Harley or not?

Just a note to say that HD has an R&D department that does a lot to verify the installation and suitability of bolt on accessories whether they are performance, comfort or *bling* type mods. After all, once you have purchased the machine, there is a lot of money to be made accessorizing them. :D

NewHDFAN is spot on here alot of after market parts are not up to par some having too much flash and holes not stamped correctly, yeah H D cost more but it fits right every time JMO, Jack

In my experience, NON HD parts do not have the fit and finish of HD. I have tried time and again to purchase a non HD part, only to return it due to poor quality, poor fit or simply just did not work. As a result, I know look to HD first. True HD cost a little more, but in the final analysis, the value is greater.

JMHO

Ride safe.

Jake

I'm with the majority here that you can't beat HD parts and accessories for fit and quality. The included instructions often leave a lot to be desired - I usually have to read them over 3 or 4 times to make sense of them but then maybe I'm just well below average intelligence wise!

One point to keep in mind now that we've all decided you should go with HD stuff. Unless your dealer is having a great sale, you can almost always get a better price from Zanotti's if you don't mind waiting for the item to be shipped and installing it yourself.

I think the previous comments hit the mark.........fit and finish of HD parts beat most after market parts. However, sometimes HD's styling decisions are not what I like so I've gone with some other products. Fortunately, I've had good luck.

HD does outsource some parts. IMO, if you can figure out what parts these are you can save a few bucks buying the supplier's brand vs HD and still have a good fit and function.

Good points all when it comes to chrome and accessories, I dont see anyone coming close to HD unless you have the OEM part chromed yourself. I'm a bit of a different spot than most based on my profession/hobby/passion, so I get to play with and use multiple aftermarket items. That being said, not all aftermarket is created equal, but when it comes to exhaust and other performance mods, the best in glass manufacturers can surpass OEM quality and fit. The cost can be more of course but it's all what you want on the bike for looks and performance. Some items are just cheap knock offs of what HD made, others are new creative items that HD will most likely never make.

I've recently looked at aftermarket horn covers and found some that are absolutely perfect in fit and finish.

bikes like cars do not normally increase in value with add ons due to personal taste. some times they even decrease, but having said that, its your bike ....enjoy it

Back