free website stats program All Harley or not? | Harley Davidson Forums

All Harley or not?

I have a 2009 883 Custom.

I am looking to upgrade pipes and air cleaner.

Is there a value in staying all Harley? I'm thinking of going Screaming Eagle all around.

Thoughts?

You can go Harley but you might make out better going with an after market or Vance and Hines depending on the sound and performance you want

You can go Harley but you might make out better going with an after market or Vance and Hines depending on the sound and performance you want

REMEMBER ; You can ALWAYS CHANGE BACK to the OLD HD parts.... so save them.. THAT being the only value i would know about...

You usually DON"T get much more for a MODIFIED bike and some times LESS... STAGE ONE is just that STAGE ONE and MOST expect it on the USED BIKES of TODAY....

I personally would go with PYTHON3's (full pipes) and SE/air or with BIG SUCK from ARLEN NESS... and add a large round air cover to set it off.

DON"T FORGET TO ADD A TFI to the fuel management system after you change to the goodies.. LEAN is stock with HD and going pipes and air WAY TOO LEAN...

signed....BUBBIE

I have found that HD / SE may cost more up front but in the long run they are cheaper; less issues and better fit.

I guess it depends on your definition of "value"? If you're looking to recoup some of the money for the upgrades, I would say no. Basically, any mods you do should be for your benefit while you own the machine. You're never gonna get back what you put in.

So, then you've got to consider what you'll value as your ride. I'd rather keep my options open and not limit myself to one particular brand. Especially when there are so many respected aftermarket possibilities.

I'd linger through a couple of weekend gatherings and look for something that peaks your interest. Then maybe ask the owner for some feedback and make your own decision. You can search the forum or ask for some opinions but there is no substitution for seeing and hearing things in the flesh. Youtube could be of some help too.

At the end of the day, you can't do any wrong by going with HD if that really is something important to you.

I think you would be happier with after market pipes or mufflers. The new SE's arent as loud as they used to be. SE air cleaner kit is good, but so are others. Make sure you give it some fuel too.

You can not do any better then HD exhaust for price, quality and performance, the only thing you have to realize is they are street legal in sound, a little deeper sound then stock, that's good for some and bad for others, I would listen to them on a bike before buying and if you're happy with the looks & sound you found your new mufflers.

Thanks all. Not looking for value to sell, more looking for less maintenance and product life. Was thinking of trading my 883 for a Road King, but after I drove the RK i realized how much more fun my 883 is!

Also thinking of the SE exhaust because I like my neighbors!

Just a note to say that HD has an R&D department that does a lot to verify the installation and suitability of bolt on accessories whether they are performance, comfort or *bling* type mods. After all, once you have purchased the machine, there is a lot of money to be made accessorizing them. :D

Back