free website stats program Alarms for a Harley | Harley Davidson Forums

Alarms for a Harley

English Mike

Sadly where I am a Director of a large business park a motorcycle was stolen yesterday in broad daylight, it had a disc lock and was 'immobilized', and steering lock was on, it was a Suzuki 750 sports bike and was only a few weeks old, sadly with the rain our CCTV was useless and I suspect it probably won't be seen again.

This got me to thinking about my baby, she has the standard HD alarm factory fitted, key as per most models and a steering lock and I park her not many spaces away from where the Suzuki went yesterday. Today it's raining again so the baby remains locked away in the garage, but I have just gone and purchased the xena disc lock with 110 db alarm while I wait for a state of the art alarm to be fitted; this will include siren, and if the bike is moved or tampered with I will get a text from the unit to my phone, should it get taken after all this alarm has GPS tracking that will help the authorities get their man.

I probably would have stayed with stock fitments but it has frightened the life out of me to think those awful people have stolen a bike that a guy has saved hard to afford, it has prompted me to upgrade while I still have the bike.

I am just sharing my thoughts so anyone else that may have been thinking about an alarm upgrade may be sufficiently stimulated into actually doing it while you can.

All the best

Mike

Last edited:
do not take this the wrong way but thieving scum will take the bike even with the state of art alarm fitted yes the trackers are awesome and allow the bike to be reunited with its rightfull owner but not after the toerags have f*&^ked it up good and proper - pls do not ask how i know i just do and if i ever find them :49:

With you there 100%

Mike

Actually, I am now having second thoughts on the selected alarm I am having fitted on July 9th. I have decided on the data tool alarm, simple 3 wire one that has motion, movement sensing and has a sim card inside of it that will call you on your mobile to advise you the bike is being touched, This costs 12 p per text and will also call you to tell you of low battery etc; I have concerns this may be a bit of a commercial gimmick and my phone will be ringing all the time and those 12p's will mount up. Oh and for a yearly subscription of around £30/$60 it will include GPS tracking if it actually gets removed; (I understand none have been removed yet!!:33: )

The Harley siren will be a simple retro fit to run alongside the existing Harley alarm. Should I really be thinking about the HD alarm with pager which I assume does a similar job but calls your pager? Perhaps there is a localised charge for this as well. And I know if I loose the bike the few 12p's are really neither here nor there, I just want to make sure I have the right kit fitted and would so appreciate some input from HD members that have a voice on what I am asking.

As always any help to get me sorted will be soooo much appreciated.:57:

Mike

H Mike

I'm not an authority on alarms but might it be an idea to call you insurance company. If there's a one lot that knows about effectability of alarms it surely must be them.
I have my bike insured with H-D (red-star underwritten) and I had a lengthy conversation about all sorts of security for the bike with them. I was more interested in lowering the premium but that was not worth the expence.
You might want to try. For the cost of a phonecall...........

Harry

Last edited:
H Mike

I'm not an authority on alarms but might it be an idea to call you insurance company. If there's a one lot that knows about effectability of alarms it surly must be them.
I have my bike insured with H-D (red-star underwritten) and I had a lengthy conversation about al sorts of security for the bike with them. I was more interested in lowering the premium bur that was not woth the expence.
You might want to try. For the cost of a phonecall...........

Harry

Thanks Harry; not such a bad idea!

Mike

Decision made; two sirens being fitted one in the usual place one completely hidden, wont be so loud that one but will prevent filling up with expanded foam. Having the HD pager with link, and as I run my place of work I am installing the u bolts that require concreting in and am advertising us a a bike safe site. Have also contacted Thatcham who were most helpful.

That will be it, if they take it now, I shall be at a loss.

thanks for the help

Mike

Back