free website stats program Alarm 101 | Harley Davidson Forums

Alarm 101

katoomer

Hi fellas,

I have a 07' FLHX. Recently I couldn't unlock the ignition switch, had to break it with my key and pliers. Now I need to choose one of the following:
  1. Replace the ignition switch
  2. Install the HD Security System
  3. Install an aftermarket security system (eg. Digital Guard Dawg)
If I choose either 2 or 3, I'm thinking I don't need 1 anymore since both 2 & 3 are capable of emulating 1, right?
For 2, what should I be ordering, H-D® Smart Security System or H-D® Factory Security System?

All advice are appreciated!

Jacob

First question would be why did you have to break it ?
Your still going to need to fix ignition switch.
Do you really need an alarm and all the head aches that go with it?

I had to start the bike and go home bro, the lock wouldn't turn.
Do I really? I thought if I fix an alarm, I can go without the ignition lock since the electricals would all be disabled by the alarm.
I thought the alarm would rid some of my headaches, not give me more. Can you elaborate?

Did you find out why the switch wouldn't unlock? I've never heard of this happening, but it sure would ruin a good ride.

Did you find out why the switch wouldn't unlock? I've never heard of this happening, but it sure would ruin a good ride.
I have a friend that had a simular problem, seems the barrel lock malfuntioned he couldn't get his key to go into the lock. It appeared that the slot that has to line up to get the key in, wasn't lined up, somehow when he took his key out the slot got misalligned. I have heard that this is a common problem with the locks on the saddle bags and tour pack locks...........what's the fix??? File off the tab on the key, that's what he did anyhow.

Interesting. I actually had my ignition lock stick on me yesterday evening. Fortunately, I just pushed on the handlebars to take some pressure off the lock and it released right away.

I have a friend that had a simular problem, seems the barrel lock malfuntioned he couldn't get his key to go into the lock. It appeared that the slot that has to line up to get the key in, wasn't lined up, somehow when he took his key out the slot got misalligned. I have heard that this is a common problem with the locks on the saddle bags and tour pack locks...........what's the fix??? File off the tab on the key, that's what he did anyhow.

Exactly the problem I had with orig. ign. switch on my Dyna. I switched it out with an aftermarket flat key switch.
I noticed the barrel locks on my E.G. bags and t pack were getting stiff. I gave them a shot of WD40 and they are smooth again.

In my case, I could insert my key but couldn't turn to unlock.

Afterwards, the local dealership guy said it might've been because one or more of the bead-like pins surrounding the keyhole was stuck so my key didn't reach the sufficient depth needed to unlock. Fortunately the saddlebag locks don't seem to have the same pins.

I didn't care to ask about the fix then, I'd lost faith in it already. Thus my initial questions about alarms...

For my 2 cents............No, the alarm won't do what the ignition lock does.........it won't lock the steering in any way. If your considering using the alarm in place of the ignition lock ya better get an audible one cause all that'll happen with the Factory one is your lights'll flash while someone rolls your bike up onto a pickup. Check with your dealer, I believe the "Smart Siren" is an "add on modual" to the Factory System.
Are ya gonna use a disk lock or something else?????

For my 2 cents............No, the alarm won't do what the ignition lock does.........it won't lock the steering in any way.
You're right. Alarms can't replace the steering/handlebar locking function, just the ignition disability part (+additional monitoring capabilities). Then again, the stock handlebar lock can easily be broken with a sharp turn of the handlebars.

If your considering using the alarm in place of the ignition lock ya better get an audible one cause all that'll happen with the Factory one is your lights'll flash while someone rolls your bike up onto a pickup.
:lolrolling

So, taking stock of all your valuable advise, this is what I've come up with so far:
  1. Install H-D® Smart Security System or H-D® Factory Security System with Siren
  2. Replace ignition/steering lock with aftermarket lock
  3. Use a disc lock

Any thoughts?

You're right. Alarms can't replace the steering/handlebar locking function, just the ignition disability part (+additional monitoring capabilities). Then again, the stock handlebar lock can easily be broken with a sharp turn of the handlebars.

:lolrolling

So, taking stock of all your valuable advise, this is what I've come up with so far:
  1. Install H-D® Smart Security System or H-D® Factory Security System with Siren
  2. Replace ignition/steering lock with aftermarket lock
  3. Use a disc lock
Any thoughts?

Sounds like a plan, but do keep everything H-D® Factory stock, it really makes a difference if the keys all match, and those things that make the bike "stock are left as there were"...important to be properly replaced for resale value as well...

Back