free website stats program Aircleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

Aircleaner

jock.p

Hello folks
I'm thinking about getting a "Heavy breather" for my XL1200.
Has anybody got any advice or opinions? Or can you suggest a better aircleaner?

Two additional advantages are it gives more right knee clearance and uses a K&N reusable filter element...not a bad investment and as Smitty says they look good too...HD even offers a Willie G. medallion trim for added *bling*! :bigsmiley24:

Thanks for the feedback.I just bought the heavy breather on E-bay and I'm waiting for delivery.I'll let you know how it's going when I fit it.

Do those heavy breather air filters really trap all the sand and dirt like the stock unit does? I know that the manufacture claims they are even better than stock but I wonder about dirt ingestion into my cylinders. I can't see having more flow without giving up some "fine filtering" capability.

What am I missing.

If it says K N it will trap al the dirt and still breathe better than stock plus it has a 1,000,000,000 mile warranty Ive never had issues with a K N filter been running them for years the first thing I change on my bikes when I get them home

I just wondered how well they really trap the fine particles. Unless the filter has a ton more surface area than the stock unit, I can't see how they can. But I am sure they allow more unrestricted air flow into the engine. My experience does not apply to bikes, K&N or Screaming Eagle products but as far as automotive race engines, you always paid a price to have more air flow with low restriction air cleaners. The price was piston ring and cylinder wall wear.

But that was years ago and maybe they have that issue solved.

dont worry about the K N filter they are made to a very high standard have been around for years and guarantee there product. I have racked up alot of miles on many bikes and never had issues with wear and tear on rings valves or giudes. I sold my 1992 FLHS in 1997 with 52,000 miles its still going with over 100,000 miles no problems save some oil leaks. It too has a K N air filter

Back