free website stats program Aircleaner, pipes and EFI | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Aircleaner, pipes and EFI

RE: ThunderMax...

AWESOME piece of equipment and it works FANTASTIC. I have had one on my '05 RK and it runs like a DREAM. Lots of torque, sensitivity, and power. Runs perfect.

That said- there is ONE big downside to it, that Glider actually pointed out that I had never thought of. What if you break down and you are not near a shop that can work on a TMax?? Or if you don't happen to have a laptop and interface cables with you? You are SCREWED, and HD shops can't work on 'em, either. That goes for any of the actual ECM replacement units. The units that BYPASS the sensors and allow you to keep the stock ECM intact (like the TFI, PC, etc) are better in that respect. Now, luckily I have never been in that situation, and I live very close to the TMax dealer where I bought it, so I don't run that risk too often. But for those of you that take long trips into states and places that you are unfamiliar with, you need to factor that into your plans in case God forbid you have a problem and need to have your scoot worked on. There is also the fact that a TMax is pretty expensive, relatively.

Like I said, I'm thrilled with my TMax, but it does have it's pluses and minuses. Take the time and do the research to weigh them out, and you'll find the right one to suit your needs.

Be safe out there!

Sorry if I'm sounding dumb here...
1. What exactly is an SE Stage 1? The Intake/Air filter?
2. Is TFI a brand or does it stand for something.
3. If I put a set of V&H Oval Slip-Ons on would I have to re-tune anything?
4. If I put a set of V&H Dresser Duals and the Slip-Ons on would I have to re-tune?

Smitty, are you saying, I can keep my 08 FatBob pipes, go with SE a/c with K&N filter (not sure) and I'll get the sound I want out of the stock pipes??

I went with Reinhart true duals with a power commander the K&N. Shouldn't have to do anything else. More power now than I had with the Scream Eagle slip ons and the stage 1 set up on my Ultra.

1. Stage 1 is the name given to the first part of tuning engine - ie exhaust/air cleaner and engine management - SE stage 1 is the SE upgrade to the orginal air box or heavy breather.
2. TFI is a brand name for an fuel injection module from www.dobeckperformance.com
3. with the slip ons you may get away with it as long you do not alter the airfilter but it will still be lean.
4.YES - if you do this option add a airfilter and fuel manager ie TFI to complete the stage 1 upgrade

Thanks for the info... I am wanting a little more sound and I know the fuel needs managing so I'll probably start digging. Any suggestions on an intake. Thought about the Vance and Hines Ovals but a friend just e-mailed me today and stated The guy who dyno'd his bike said Vance and Hines are not as good as some. He said they were hard to tune.

I'm only going to comment on the Hyper Charger because most everything else has been very well covered. I tried one once, lasted about three hours. That was the trip to my dyno guy's place and about 15 mins. on the dyno. I was running a `01 Ultra with a 95" motor. The hyper charger killed bottom and mid-range torque but worked as claimed on top end where I never ran the bike. Installed SE high flow and never looked back. Hope this helps and good luck.

Doc.

Back