free website stats program air valve | Harley Davidson Forums

air valve

has anyone re-located your air valve for your rear shocks?My air filler valve is too short to get an acurate reading when I put the air to them. thanks

Interesting - I just serviced mine (2008 FLHX) the other day without removing the saddlebag and using the HD air pump. There is just enough of a notch on the inboard portion of the left saddlebag to get the pump onto the valve. EG's must be slightly different than SG's.

I have my bags adjusted just ever so slightly blocking the service valve. As you say the notch is there but in my case it is not dead on in alignment.

That'll teach you to tinker with the perfect way HD assembled your bike!

:lolrolling

You might want to consider the HD pump or a suspension pump from other sources to fill your shocks as they include a gauge which eliminates the need for a separate gauge.

These pumps are no-loss type meaning you can inflate your shocks to your desired pressure and then remove them with no loss or air.

I would not recommend using anything besides a small pump like this (as others have suggested because the volume of the system is so small. You risk blowing out not only the plastic lines but the seals in the shocks by using other means to fill.

If you cannot access the fill valve without removing your saddlebag, you might want to check the bracket holding the valve. It may have been bent or twisted at some point. You should be able to add air with the HD pump by only opening the lid to the saddle bag and removing the cap on the valve.

has anyone re-located your air valve for your rear shocks?My air filler valve is too short to get an acurate reading when I put the air to them. thanks

Theres threads on that valvestem, if it's not sticking out far enough back the inner nut off and it will stick out more, I THINK.

I agree - the HD pump was a good purchase in my opinion.

On my 2008 EG I have to remove the left saddlebag. Not hard to do as it is just two quarter turn dzus fasteners and it is off. I use the HD Air Pump and I can't service it without removing the saddlebag.

Relocating the service valve will run a risk of leaking IMO.

Just in case you aren't aware or others that are reading aren't, the air suspension in a touring bike should not be serviced with anything like a gas station air hose or you will damage the system.

I recommend the HD air pump...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the H-D pump with the built-in gauge. I don't see any problem if a person uses the correct tool.
If you can't get your gauge on the fitting to read it, it sounds like you are using something else and I'm guessing it won't be long before the shocks have been blown from pressure too high.

The best part of the Hd gauge is its hassle free, easy to use, and you do not loose any air when connecting or removing. Relocating valve block will proper cause a leak.

On mine, I just have to open the lid on the saddlebag, plenty of access. If it works, don't TINKER with it Tank. :D

Back