free website stats program Air Temperature Gauge | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Temperature Gauge

Thanks TQ. Very specific instructions. But I will need to think about that for awhile. Nervous about removing tank and needing to pull the crankcase plug. Looks like several opportunities to get into trouble.

Nah! When I did mine, I did NOT pull the tank, but rather ran from the oil sending unit that you install in the front of the oil pan were there is currently a pipe plug (obviously do this after you drain the oil out of the drain plug!) to the right over where there is already a cable bundle run. I just ran the sending unit wire along that cable bundle to the front of the engine, tie-wrapping it every so often. Then I ran up the clutch cable housing to the inside of the fairing. You need to take the outer fairing off, but that is 7 screws!! Follow the instructions you get with the oil temp kit, and you will be good to go!!

With BOTH a temp gauge, and a pressure gauge, you will have the tools to keep an eye on your engine's life blood!!

Just do it!

TQ

As TQ says, the newest version of the oil temp gauge that HD is selling does NOT require gas tank removal - wiring harness goes from temp sending unit in oil pan over to right side of frame and up into fairing. Previously they were selling a kit that had the temp sending unit mount into an adapter that went between the oil filter mount and the filter itself. I strongly recommend you do not buy this kit, even if they have some left over and are discounting them. The adapter was a bad idea as evidenced by HD's no longer including them in the new kit.

Nuke - I see you're in Marietta - I got the new kit at Earl Small a couple weeks ago. Parts guy said it was his last one but I'd hope they got more by now.

Thanks TQ and Doc. This is all very encouraging. I think I am going to go for it. I really would like to see the oil temperature (actually being a nuke, we love all of that instrumentation). And it would be much more helpful than air temp.

I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that put a oil temp. gauge in. He put it where his voltmeter was, and moved the V.M. to where the air temp. was. I asked him what was involved, and he said "plug-n-play", the V.M., used the same connectors the air temp. used + and -. I haven't done it yet, so don't know for sure if he was right, but like the idea of both oil gauges next to each other. While I'm at it,, what is the size of the small gauges? I have been looking at gauges, and they claim to be 2", 2 1/16", and 2 1/8", is 1/8" critical in mounting, or is it just mfg. differences in discription?

Hmmmmm. Outside air temp gauge on a motorcycle. I could do without that, but I REALLY want an anemometer on mine.:D Just in case my speedo quits.

Back