free website stats program Air Shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Shocks

Redfish-Joe

Got a question. Is it possible to take a standard pair of rear shocks and separate the rod and lower mounting bushing? If it were possible could the same effect as using lowered shocks be expected?

I have replaced numerous rod ends on hydraulic cylinders in the past without heat damaging the seals. I have the skills and equipment to do the job and a spare set of shocks in the shop. Not to mention I would really like to get the lowering kit off my bike and put a set of lowered shocks on.:D

What do y'all think?

I don't think it would be possible, but if I had a extra set of shocks laying around and the skills, equipment and a idea how to do it, a heard of wild horses could keep me from trying it, although if I didn't have the extra pair of shocks I would have a extra $300.00 laying around. Who knows you might have a new side line if you can do it cheap & quick enough, and it works, it might buy you lots of extra chrome, or what ever.

Great, looking foward to seeing pic's and how it goes, wish I was there doing it with you but pic's will be next best thing. Have fun!

The trick will be not getting the rod too hot while welding. Done it a bunch of times on hydraulic cylinders BUT the rods were a lot bigger.

Uhh this thread was about air shock type? May be a problem with using heat, as it may distort the body ever so slightly so when you put everything back together, as the seal will not be very good enough to trap air, but enough not to affect the oil dampening. But being the forever optimist...(so my gal tells me anyway), I hope it works!

Uhh this thread was about air shock type? May be a problem with using heat, as it may distort the body ever so slightly so when you put everything back together, as the seal will not be very good enough to trap air, but enough not to affect the oil dampening. But being the forever optimist...(so my gal tells me anyway), I hope it works!

Looking closely a the rod I am under the impression it is hollow not solid as I had originally thought. Solid would make it an easy fix. Hollow...not so much. A little more research before I start cutting and welding.:p

Back