free website stats program Air Shocks.. What are they? | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Shocks.. What are they?

israguard

Good morning,
My 2010 FLHX like many others came with air shocks which I pumped up a bit yday in preparation for some upcoming added weight into cases.

What are air shocks ?. I know with "standard" shocks that use oil.. Its oil which is compressed and is forced througha very small opening on the inside, thus creating a slow expansion/compression of the shock.

How does it work with air ?. When I pump/increase pressure in shock.. what happens ?

Appreciate any insight you may have.

Rgds, Shawn

Air shocks are basically an air bladder over the oil that is used to dampen the road regularities. It's purpose is to enable the rider to carry a bit more weight without bottoming out the suspension. Always use a quality hand air pump like the one from HD to add air to the shocks, a gas station pump or compressor will damage the shocks.

Thanks guys... now I get it.

Yes, I ONLY use HD Pump which just got @ dealer. Wouldnt dare use anything else.

Much obliged for quick response

Your owners manual will give specific pressure for added weight.
Have a great trip.....:)

think of the air part as "spring"....the air bladder and hence pressure adjustment is like turning the spring collar on regular shocks...air isnt about damping but spring/support for load....

Phil

israguard; another great source of information on your bike is a touring service manual. I'd say it's something to definitely put on top of your Father's Day gift list - $60 ad your local HD shop.

I have looked online for a cutaway of an airshock to explain it better,but there is surprisingly little out there.The link I found below shows a nitrogen assisted shock which is basically the same thing.I hope the diagram along with the replies above help you to better understand your shocks.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Airshox/!%20internal%20large.jpg

Not 100% sure but I think Nitrogen is used in some shocks as it better takes the heat buildup and doesnt "bubble" the oil (non technical term :)) when heavily used...a little different than the air bladder in the ultra shock which really is there to supplement/replace any spring otherwise used for load carrying. In Nitrogen charged shocks I am fairly sure the Nitrogen is in the same chamber with the oil...not in a bladder...just fyi.

===============================================

hey found this link explaining some shock types including a cutaway of a harley shock (supposedly) Shocks Explanation

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? odd since mixing it with the oil would mean it would not be in the right place to help load...I will have to take your word for that for now as I am not going to cut mine open. The other thing is that if that were true and someone put an air hose at the local filling station on thier shock, not only would it not hold air but they would have oil all over hte place also....again, not going to test on my shocks but I hadnt heard folks say that was the end result...

Back