free website stats program Air Shock Pump | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Shock Pump

johns07gmc

Ok was riding this weekend with my wife and realized that I need to adjust the air in my rear shocks. My question is instead of spending the money on a pump that says HD on it can't I go to a regular bike shop (yes pedal bike) and use on of those pumps, I know some of the better mountain bikes have shocks on them just wondering?

You could do that but don't use a compressed air hose or you blow the shock seals.

Why not just break down and spend the $40 and buy the proper one? You spent upwards of $20 K for the bike and the extra $45 isn't going to do any harm to anyone to do it right.:s

I bought the HD air pump. I realize you can buy a other type of low pressure pump, but I will tell you the convenience and the EZ operation makes this one of the best HD accessories I have bought. Takes up very little room in the bike and works perfectly for the application. I recommend it. Looks like the one Glider shows is just as convenient.

Bought the HD version off eBay for half the price of new. Seller even sent it in the original box. Chk around deals are out there.

The only thing that I would caution you on as far as the non-HD ones- ESPECIALLY if buying online- is to look VERY closely at the gauge that tells you how many pounds you are putting in. I am speaking from experience, and I literally just walked in my door coming from buying one at the HD shop. I went to probably 10 different bicycle shops, and looked all over the web, and the smallest increments that I could find the pressure gauges on these pumps was 5 pound increments. The HD air-suspension shocks are VERY sensitive, and 1 or 2 pounds makes a HUGE difference. I couldn't find a hand pump in 1-pound increments ANYWHERE, so I went ahead and bought the HD one. It's hard to tell from the online pics what pounds the gauges measure.

Keep your eyes open for that little gotcha- and good luck!

You can get a small ball pump at the Wally World for about half the price of the one with HD on it. The nice thing about the one with HD on it is that it has a micro bleed valve and a pressure guage built into it.

The shocks don't take very much air in volume and that is why you should not use compressed air or even most bicycle tire pumps as they are likely to blow your air lines with just a pump or two.

This is one time that having the right tool just makes sence.

Thanks Glider for the quick responce but since the wife is out of work at the moment trying to pinch penny's here, the pump is similar to the HD one. Here are a few I found on Nextag.

Shock Pump - Sports Outdoors - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

I hope the nextag link is ok?

after shipping and handling..you may save 4 or 5 bucks I paid i bought mine on a 20 % off sale and we paid 38.00 for ours when all was said and done. of course ya save on the sales tax also..so you got a few options..i know i tried with a bike pump before and it was a hassle...so be careful and good luck..also if ya buy from a dealer...ya have a lil better return policy and ya don't have to wait...just a few ideas

Back