free website stats program Air Shock Pressures | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Air Shock Pressures

I had bottoming out issues with my O.E. HD air shocks FLHR. Did a bunch of research, comparing various brands and ended up buying a set of Progressive shocks. Installation was a snap. Put about 800 miles on them on a ride up to the HD Museum and back. Best decision I've made. Completely happy, love the ride difference. Think they were about $640 for the pair. I more recently added a Mustang 2up seat...man I'm chillin now! Much improved comfort level. IMHO.

Excellent info. Please let us know on your progress.

FWIW, my info on the Legends may have been the Air charged product.....

I'm having a problem holding air pressure over a day or two. went to my local dealer and was told my shocks were bad. They replaced them but I'm still loosing pressure .I went back to the dealer and they said this was normal and I should check my pressure once a week. This seems a little excessive to me. I have had several friends tell me that they don't have this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you checked all the connections with a little soapy water? Be sure to check the connection where you screw the air pump in.

It's not normal to lose pressure over a couple days! Mine sat all winter and I maybe lost a pound or 2.
Dealer is not correct with what he told you.
Did they replace all lines? dealer should have checked for any leaks.
Poor customer service in my opinion.

I'm having a problem holding air pressure over a day or two. went to my local dealer and was told my shocks were bad. They replaced them but I'm still loosing pressure .I went back to the dealer and they said this was normal and I should check my pressure once a week. This seems a little excessive to me. I have had several friends tell me that they don't have this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
#1.) I hope that you are going to find a new mechanic.
#2.) Was this guys nose growing as he told you this garbage.
Anyways my 2008 Electra Glide with 30,000 miles I can probably count on one hand except for the few times that I adjusted pressures before my wife was a passenger, that I ever had to adjust air pressures.
I would ask this guy if your tires were loosing air at the rate that your air shocks are would he then claim that, that is normal???????????????:confused:
Remove saddlebags. Air up shocks to your preferred air pressure then with sudsy soapy solution coat all lines and fittings and look for bubbles. Also check Schrader valve. Has air shock block on kick stand side of bike been moved to install bracket for backrest or removable tour pack. Hopefully Harley will deny claim and charge back dealer for replace non bad parts.. Can you tell I am irritated..................o_O

I had bottoming out issues with my O.E. HD air shocks FLHR. Did a bunch of research, comparing various brands and ended up buying a set of Progressive shocks. Installation was a snap. Put about 800 miles on them on a ride up to the HD Museum and back. Best decision I've made. Completely happy, love the ride difference. Think they were about $640 for the pair. I more recently added a Mustang 2up seat...man I'm chillin now! Much improved comfort level. IMHO.

I changed to Progressive 944s a couple years ago on my 2004 FLHRS. Much better ride and feels more solid on the turns. Does bottom out sometimes on big bumps. I adjusted them to where they didn't bottom out, but the ride was harsh, so I adjusted them back down a little. If money was no object, I probably would have gone for Ohlins.

I have an '09 EG. It sat idle from June '16 to Dec. '16 while I had both knees replaced. Problem now is it seems to bottom out no matter what air pressure I have in the shocks. I changed the oil in them and went to Amsoil Shock Therapy 10#. Rode it, adjusting the pressure to try and fix this issue, and still seems to be riding on the bottom. I always ride 2 up and didn't have this problem until it sat last year. Any suggestions would appreciated.

My bike sat for 6 months and didn't lose any pressure at all. A spray bottle and soapy water would be your best bet to find a small leak leak. I also used a different fitting on my air lines than HD puts in the shocks. It's a DOT approved fitting you can get from just about any trucking dealler. Take an old one with you to be sure to get the right one. It'll be all brass as opposed to the brass and plastic OEM ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '09 EG. It sat idle from June '16 to Dec. '16 while I had both knees replaced. Problem now is it seems to bottom out no matter what air pressure I have in the shocks. I changed the oil in them and went to Amsoil Shock Therapy 10#. Rode it, adjusting the pressure to try and fix this issue, and still seems to be riding on the bottom. I always ride 2 up and didn't have this problem until it sat last year. Any suggestions would appreciated.

So if I understand your post you're not losing air pressure? If it's maintaining air pressure it shouldn't be bottoming out unless something broke in your suspension which I doubt.
Do a good inspection of the suspension for loose or broken parts, fill shocks to your desired pressure and check for leaks as Spike76 mentioned.

Back