free website stats program air related whining sound at freeway speed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

air related whining sound at freeway speed

Hey Everyone all fixed. Thanks for all the ideas. I started eliminating things one by one. It turns out it was the after market cowling around the headlight. There was a gap between the piece and the headlight. I put tape over it and the noise stopped. Those things just don't fit super snug.

The final fix was to use the chrome rubber door edge guard material used on cars around the inner edge of the cowling. It fills the gap and you can't even tell it's there. I tightened up the cowling and good to go. Problem solved. Whew that was a wierd one.

Great job of chasing down the problem and nice touch on the fix.

Now that was fun to read, a problem, great advice, and a solution (which will ultimately benefit others)....all in the span of 4hrs, 54 mins. This site is great!

Sure it's not the passenger? :lolrolling

Couldn't resist....

Glider, you took the words right out of my mouth...I was thinking the same thing...especially if we pass a rest stop and the next one is 34 miles away. :newsmile100:

Good troubleshooting Cheeseman, when we add accessories there is a certain amount of "cutting in" usually is required...:cheers

Last edited:
Now that was fun to read, a problem, great advice, and a solution (which will ultimately benefit others)....all in the span of 4hrs, 54 mins. This site is great!

Hit the nail right on the head bro. Mz Bling and I rode with Cheeseman and his wife yesterday. Believe me, it wasn't Jen doing the whining. :) I rode his bike and man, the whining or harmonic was loud. The first thing we said was "start a thread on THE forum, If the answer is out there, they'll know." Bingo, great suggestions plus a great resolution for future inquiries. Like we've said a million times, this site and its members are the BOMB.

Do you use a full face helmet, and do you hear the whistling when the visor is open? I had the same problem and it turned out to be the air going between the open visor and the helmet, at speeds over 45 mph.

ShoeiFR-100001.jpg

Deucedog - Using a half helmet. Thanks for the tip though. I may get a full face helmet later on.

Craig Lee is right, this forum is great. Lotsa helpful responses in a short amount of time.

Good one Bubbie! I will have to remember that one.

I have found that IF the front axle Hole is placed Wrong, It will whistle when up to ? speed. AIR flowing over it has been a problem on my bike one.... I moved the Big Tool hole on axle and problem solved..

Back