free website stats program air related whining sound at freeway speed | Harley Davidson Forums

air related whining sound at freeway speed

Cheeseman

I have a strange issue. I own a 08 Street glide that is almost stock. When Iget up to freeway speed between 65 - 70 mph there is a wierd air related whining sound. It is sounds almost like a whistle. It does not sound mechanical.

Has anyone had this or heard of this?

im one that listens to my bike & i hear all manner of noises but no whistling sorry.,.,

Have you added any cosmetic accessories (or changes) to the bike since the last time you did NOT have the noise. If it is air/wind related like you say, something you changed may be causing it.

Hi Cheese; Start by locating or eliminating possibilities. Hold your arm across your chest, low to high, left to right. Put your hand in as many different positions as you can in and around the cockpit and your head. See if anything lessens the noise. There are a lot of acoustics behind the fairing. It could be as simple as your helmet, or as bad as a engine part.

I have a strange issue. I own a 08 Street glide that is almost stock. When Iget up to freeway speed between 65 - 70 mph there is a wierd air related whining sound. It is sounds almost like a whistle. It does not sound mechanical.

Back in 95 I changed the front tins on my FLSTC and got a whistling noise on the first ride. I couldn't figure out what was causing it but I knew that it had to be the tins. I took everything I had placed on the bike off and began to reassemble. The first time I did not look at the manual, how hard can it be to replace some non moving parts? Well I had placed the front tin on with the edge on the outside of the back tins and there was the problem. You need to check the front of your fairing and any parts that are directly in the wind, do you have the deflectors on your bike? Is the windshield down tight? Do you have the trim piece at the bottom of the windshield? It doesn't take much for the wind to get in and cause the whistle. Check anything you or the dealer has recently placed on the bike first.

Some more questions to help us troubleshoot:

Do you ONLY hear the whistle at the speeds you mention?
Does it change in intensity or pitch as speed changes?
Can you localize it at all? Front? Back? Fairing? Engine?
Have you changed helmet, glasses, windshield, or anything else recently?

Have you added any cosmetic accessories (or changes) to the bike since the last time you did NOT have the noise. If it is air/wind related like you say, something you changed may be causing it.

IM WITH hoop here what if any were the last mods done to the bike. Some times we beat our selves up for no good reason I have used this aproach in repairs and found it to work good, good luck:)

Sure it's not the passenger? :lolrolling

Couldn't resist....

Is it kind like this...... Pheeeeeeh but continual?

Had to do the noise Just For Glider's sake! Ha ha!

I have found that IF the front axle Hole is placed Wrong, It will whistle when up to ? speed. AIR flowing over it has been a problem on my bike one.... I moved the Big Tool hole on axle and problem solved..

The other Whistle I heard off my bike was from a state trooper sitting astride His BMW and saying after Ignored whistle ""I know you hear me so don't make me come get you!""

Illegal Helmet........ bumper to fender traffic on Narrows Bridge in Tacoma Wa. and Him whistling...
Me looking straight ahead...
He saying I knew you heard me...
Me saying I thought you were Just admiring My bike. Ha ha.

no HA HA from him just a ticket.

are you sure Whistle is from your bike?

bubbie

Is it kind like this...... Pheeeeeeh but continual?

Had to do the noise Just For Glider's sake! Ha ha!

I have found that IF the front axle Hole is placed Wrong, It will whistle when up to ? speed. AIR flowing over it has been a problem on my bike one.... I moved the Big Tool hole on axle and problem solved..

The other Whistle I heard off my bike was from a state trooper sitting astride His BMW and saying after Ignored whistle ""I know you hear me so don't make me come get you!""

Illegal Helmet........ bumper to fender traffic on Narrows Bridge in Tacoma Wa. and Him whistling...
Me looking straight ahead...
He saying I knew you heard me...
Me saying I thought you were Just admiring My bike. Ha ha.

no HA HA from him just a ticket.

are you sure Whistle is from your bike?

bubbie

HMMMMMM, Bubbie I had a problem like this with an alignment years ago the customer came back with a whistling noise, i narrowed it down to the tie rod sleeves facing forward . I put some tape over the sleeves and the noise went away, imagine that something so simple, stay on top of your game my friend, Jack

Back