free website stats program Air intake question | Harley Davidson Forums

Air intake question

I am about to do the Stage 1 upgrade (exhaust & air intake). My question is on the air, i see these ones that you can see the cleaner through the cover; I have been told that these shouldn't be rode in the rain, is that true? I wouldn't think they would sell very many if you couldn't or shouldn't ride them in heavy rain (In SE Louisiana that would limit your ride time). On the other hand it would seem reasonable that a high flow air cleaner with the element exposed would get wet and suck in water to the intake.

I've never used 1 but they make a sock/rain cover for them that is supposed to keep the rain out.

I'm not sold on the idea that they flow that much better than a regular stage 1 air cover and is the hassle really worth it?

I've heard from some that have the open filter and they had to put a sock/cover over the filter to ride in the rain.

Funny, when I was thinking of buying a K&N filter from a friend, While making a dyno run, I tried both the stock filter and the K&N filter.
(The stock air filter gave me a better reading.)

With or with out a sock it would take a whole lot of rain to cause any ill affects JMO

There was a day coming home from work that i drove through a down pour that made my engine, with an open K&N filter, hesitate a few times. I actually should of pulled under an overpass but i could see that the rain wasnt going to last. I have since put the football cover on to cover the filter.

IF it runs ok during the water storm, no worry... IF you get some Water into the intake and an occasional Sputter from the motor... Still no problem as water turning to Steam WILL clean out the carbon inside the cylinder head and off the tops of pistons.

NOW, IF you get WAY TOO Much at One Time,,, You can Bend a rod, shatter a piston, even slip the crank out... Liquid does Not compress... There lays the Problem...:small3d015:

signed....BUBBIE

Back