free website stats program Air in Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Air in Oil

I changed the oil in my 2007 Heritage Softail Classic to Mobil 1 V-twin 20w50 this weekend and noticed that every time I check it after I have been riding, there is a lot of air in the oil. It looks very foamy. I never checked it before I changed the oil since I bought it used and wanted to make sure that I knew what fluids I was running. Is this normal?

I see bubbles on my dip stick also. I bet a lot has to do with the return oil pump being a larger capacity than the supply oil pump. It therefore picks up a BUNCH of air.

I changed the oil in my 2007 Heritage Softail Classic to Mobil 1 V-twin 20w50 this weekend and noticed that every time I check it after I have been riding, there is a lot of air in the oil. It looks very foamy. I never checked it before I changed the oil since I bought it used and wanted to make sure that I knew what fluids I was running. Is this normal?

Did you wash the bike after changing the oil? Any way you got water in the tank or in the engine? Sounds sort of like an emulsion.

TQ

I'm no oil expert but I have some foam in the oil tank on my softail after a hot ride. I use 20-50 HD non syn., and I think it has something to do with the additives and detergent.

The 1st time I read your post I did not see the word 'foamy'. As TQ says, if it's an emulsion (water), you must find out what is going on. If you have a white milky issue, that is serious and must be corrected.

I would drain the oil in a CLEAN glass container. Take a good look after letting it sit overnight.

I was reading into your post as if you took a quart of oil, put it in a blender and aerated it. That type of foamy.

I did not add any additives to the oil when I changed it. I just drained the syn3 that the last owner had the HD dealership install when they changed the oil, changed the filter and used mobil 1 to refill. I then rode the bike for a few miles, check the oil level and it was good. The last time I rode, I checked the oil as soon as I turned the bike off and that is when I noticed it was foamy. It did not look like it had any water in it. It was not milky in color. I did wash the bike after I changed the oil but the dip stick was in place and I did not drench the bike while washing it. When the oil level is checked after riding, should it sit for a few minutes before pulling the dip stick? Thanks.

Yes oil should be checked hot after sitting for a bit when you shut it down.
I have seen air bubbles on dip stick on my FB no big deal.
But if yiu see foam you have issues.
When over full crank will whip oil to a foam, water in the oil will also look like that. Caused by water getting in or by not riding ling enough to warm the and burn off moisture that is in all oil

Got to be careful in the winter as the moisture in the oil can freeze and cause oil pump failure, the foaming is a bit of a by product of the internal combustion engine, and being air cooled aint helping. As long as it is at the proper level u should be fine. Short rides will give you more moisture:s

I usually have air bubbles on top of the oil when I check it hot but I just take the dipstick and stir it up a bit and the bubbles go away.

well I am certainly NO expert!! But, my hot oil is sorta foamy on top when I pull the dipstick and look inside using a flashlite. I think this is normal for hot oil being pumped into the holding tank. Just my opinion.

Bill - 01 heritage

My '10 FatBoy does same at start up idling and after riding. I never looked until I read this post.
wilks3

Back