free website stats program Air & Fuel Upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

Air & Fuel Upgrade

Slapp

So I went to the dealership last night to pick up some parts and they had Military Appreciation Night on. It was funny because I had no idea it was even going on. None the less I ended up with a fifteen percent discount on my parts. I purchased a Heavy Breather and HD Super Tuner and it still cost me $615. What I cannot believe is the cost of the tuner, box has a $459.99 sticker on it and I still have to pay for 3 hours of DYNO service. Is it me or this pricing just a little ridiculous? I then questioned the $898 dollar upgrade to the 103 kit, and they told me I would still have to add all this other stuff any way. I was somewhat concerned about the fact that they said they do not put new jugs on they just bore out the ones I have and add bigger pistons. I skipped that since my bike is fairly new and when I get some high mileage on it and wear the engine out I will do the upgrade then. It just seems to me that the pictures in the catalog and dealership walls show cylinders cams and heads that they give the impression they are putting new stuff on. Well off to the dealer to get my bike tuned I will post before and after results. Thanks for letting me rant.

The prices sound pretty standard Slapp, the super tuner is top of the line in my book & the only way to go, some dealers have the 88'' jugs bored if "hopefully" they have someone good around to do it and they don't try to charge you the $300.00 that new jugs list for. I like using new jugs because I don't like putting my shops rep on the line for someone elses work. They probably could have just downloaded the stage 1 download instead of dyno tuming, but when their done you will know what you have and be very happy with it, I'm sure. Let us know how it runs when you get back.

Got the bike back yesterday from the dealer, but berfore I go any further I just want to say the mechanic who did the fine tuning on the DYNO was a real nice guy. When I went to pick the EG up he saw me pull up and stoped what he was doing and came out to explain all he had done. So with that said here are the numbers for my combination of exhaust, intake, and tuner.
Rush slash down cut slip ons with a 1.5 baffle (loud, but not annoying loud), HD Heavy Breather (in gloss black) and for the tuner I went with the Screaming Eagle Super Tuner.
Folks let me tell you this is a whole new ride. Smoother ride, throttle is more responsive, faster speeds at lower RPMS. I did notice a change in gas milage seems as though it is using a liitle more fuel than before, but that could have just been the traffic I was in, I'll keep you all updated on that. So without further comment here are the numbers.
HP is 74.53
Torgue is 89.43

What do you all think? The mechanic said there was no way to give an accurate before number since I put the exhaust and Heavy Breather on myself before I brought it to the dealer, a cost savings. Dealer wanted 2 hours labor to install slip ons and Heavy breather. But the mechanic said huge improvements based on bone stock numbers. I wanted to add the DYNO sheet but the system will not let me add a copy. Any how let me know what you think.

Folks let me tell you this is a whole new ride. Smoother ride, throttle is more responsive, faster speeds at lower RPMS. I did notice a change in gas milage seems as though it is using a liitle more fuel than before, but that could have just been the traffic I was in, I'll keep you all updated on that. So without further comment here are the numbers.

I'm glad you're happy with the results and that's all that really matters.

Unless you changed the gearing as well, I'm not buying the highlighted statement above. Did you mean more responsive and better acceleration, even from the lower RPM's?

Slapp; It's always nice getting parts on sale & even better when they're $pendy performance UG's. Those #'s are proof it's money well spent - good job! I've hit the stealership events for added discounts, but you can also use a couple of good web vendors & get HD discounts (at least 20%). I use M&M Cycles (https://www.mandmcycles.com/homepage.htm) & Surdyke (Harley-Davidson® Parts and Accessories Default.asp). Might save a few bucks from HD & taxes, but remember to factor in shipping...Enjoy!

Dr D, yes and no yes better response even at lower RPMs and yes better speed at lower RPMs not a lot but yes some.

That sounds fantastic Slapp, good numbers, sounds like your dyno man not only knows what he's doing but enjoys it. You really feel that increase in torque, especially down low, just wait till you go two up, you won't know someones on the back.:small3d026:

HP is 74.53
Torgue is 89.43

Numbers seem low to me I have a stock 96" on my EGC..seems like the HP/TQ numbers were around these numbers. I'm laid up in bed right now but give me a couple of hours and I will head out to the cave and check..doesn't matter though if your happy with the mod.

Numbers seem low to me I have a stock 96" on my EGC..seems like the HP/TQ numbers were around these numbers.

I checked other websites and surveys of the numbers that other people are achieving because you had me worried that something was wrong or worst yet I wasted my money. After my check I selected the first ten (10) people who posted their DYNO sheets who only did an up-grade of slip-ons, air filters, and tuners and this is what I did. I added all the numbers together and divided by ten so I can get a good average. These are the numbers I came up with for an overall average.
• HP 74.1
• Torque 81.5
My numbers on the DYNO sheet are;
• HP 74.53
• Torque 89.43
With that said Mavagrand, if your numbers are close to that on a completely stock bike then you must have that rare bike that you here about, that comes from the factory with all the perfect parts assembled at that one specific moment in time. If I was in your position I would not change anything on that bike…ever.
Rode the bike again yesterday on a nice chilly round trip ride about 90 miles each direction (total 180 miles) with the new set-up. Rush 1.5 slash down slip-ons, HD Heavy Breather air intake/filter, HD Super tuner then had it put on the DYNO by the Dealership. The bike had clean crisp response, slightly elevated speeds at lower RPM. Definitely runs cooler and faster. Down side- seems to use a little more fuel than before. If my calculations are right then I am down about 2 to 3 miles per gallon. However time will tell for sure on that.
Everyone enjoy your day and remember, Bike Week is just around the corner.

Slapp; Glad to hear you are pleased at your upgrades and performance. There is one thing you have posted a couple of times that is just incorrect (as DR. Doolittle tried to point out). "The bike had clean crisp response, slightly elevated speeds at lower RPM"
If you made no gearing changes, speed and rpm will remain the SAME at any given speed/rpm. Increasing hp will not affect rpms per mph, changing GEARING will.
Not meaning to bust on you, just clearing up a misconception.

Back