free website stats program Air/Fuel mixed messages | Harley Davidson Forums

Air/Fuel mixed messages

Big Stan

Hey all, this is my first post here and I am glad to hear any and all replies to this.

I ride a bone stock fuel injected 2011 Fat Bob and I have noticed it is alot hotter than my carb'd 2006 sporty 1200 (V&H short shots with re-jet).
Yes I know the engine is bigger thus more heat, but I have been reading alot of posts referring to stock HD fuel injection being borderline TOO lean. This acquired info along with the noticeable difference in temp got me to pull the spark plugs and I was shocked at what I saw. They were a beautiful rich tan color as opposed to the near white I was expecting! Are my plugs lying to me? (rhetorical)
Could all of this simply be a case of "times are 'a changin" and "if it dont act like my old bike it must be wrong" -itis? Or did the 'ol HDMOCO not do its homework on this one?
I'm not a HD mechanic, nor do I play one on T.V. but what I'm hearing and what I'm seeing aren't telling the same story.

Your plugs are showing the results of the fuel additives and not the mixture settings at all. Plugs can be tan, red and anywhere in between but they are no guide to proper mixtures since the lead has been removed from the fuel.

Big Stan; in short, your new scoot needs a tuner, breather & non-CAT pipes. Changing/altering all three will give you the flexability to adjust heat issue(s) and fine tune your engine for better performance.

Thank you for all of the inputs. Each one has helped me understand whats going on between my legs (haha)
Like they say, "the only sure things in life are death and taxes"
Looks like its time to pay the Harley tax!

Back